Would you ride this to Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Girl here at work is riding to Paris for charidee

Young and in good nick works out in the gym, plenty of cycling in the gym on a machine, knows nothing about bikes and as the one eyed man I've been asked for advice

Budget of nothing

I steered her away from something second hand on gumtree with front suspension and made noises about hybrids and maybe even a road bike if she wanted to go for it

She's seen this in Decatholon and I've said it's a good idea for the budget if she 's keen

Agreed?

col

Legendary Member
No link?

Bigtallfatbloke

I am no expert but I did ride to Paris and back once on a crappy old road bike...I reckon any bike that fits and has been serviced would do the job...just a question of how long it takes and how comfortable it is...UNLESS she will be carrying a heavy pannier load....

...Young & fit...works out you say....hmmm...

That is ridiculously cheap.

My tuppence worth is that if sh'e not a cyclist she may struggle with road bike positioning, something more upright might be better ie. bars and seat level I mean, not as stretched, not sit up and beg though.

User482 reckons there's some touring bargains to be had on e-bay.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
People on here have rated Decatholon cheapies as respectable quality lately as I recall

I have suggest the roadie setup is a bit more aggressive but said it'd repay if she can hack it, I've seen loads on here saying how flexible drops are withthe hand positions and stuff?

no idea how these things work, will she need/want panniers, bar bag should hack it shouldn't it?

as for young and fit, she might read this later so I can't add that she's rather pretty and bright as well

col

Legendary Member
Imo,this would do the job,as what we tend to compare with,is the more upgraded and dearer bikes,that are light and have expensive add ons,Look after it,and use it as its meant,and i dont see any reason why it wouldnt do?

Usual caveats apply then. Get it in good enough time to get used to it and be prepared to change a few bits, like the saddle. If she's young and fit (in the health sense), I would think she should be able to cope with the positioning.

I presume if it's a charity do, then luggage is transported so a handlebar bag would do but a large seatpack (Carradice/Ortlieb/Altura range) might be better as it won't upset the handling and balance.

Darn! User got to the bumbag bit first....

Cheddar George

oober member
Should be OK, but if she has little experience of riding a bike on the road those down tube shifters will need lots of practice. Does anybody do a cheap fixed fork hybrid with the shifters on the handlebars ?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I have suggest the roadie setup is a bit more aggressive but said it'd repay if she can hack it, I've seen loads on here saying how flexible drops are withthe hand positions and stuff?

no idea how these things work, will she need/want panniers, bar bag should hack it shouldn't it?

I think the bike looks brill (although I know very little) but as a girl, I found drop handlebars difficult to get used to and they made me feel really insecure for a good couple of months. I like them now, but if she's new to cycling it might put her off. I also had to lift my handlebars up a fair amount as I hated the riding position being so agressive. It hurt my neck.

I'd really recommend a bike with flat bars if she's new to cycling... a good hybrid would be perfect for Paris, or a road bike with a less agressive position.

If the tour isn't supported, she'd need panniers (and thus a pannier rack). If she's as pretty as you say she won't travel light (we girls don't):smile: Halfords do good basic cheap ones that you can line with a bin bag for waterproofing.

bianco

I'd advise to get the next model up at least with sti shifters, the down tube shifters can be a real pain for the new cyclist!

mudguards! It doesn't have any. Toeclips? Probably not yet eh!

I'm tending back towards my first comment after Cathryn's response about a less stretched position being a good idea for a cycling novice.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
oops, didn't notice downtube shifters, how did people ever manage to ride with those in the olden days

thanks all, she picked that herself, I did suggest flat bars/hybrid, drops if she really fancied it

I'll mention the advice tomorrow

Top Bottom