wow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yenrod said:
Why the hell ride a 'fixed wheel' when you can have a spread of gears !

It just dont make sense !

If you have to ask, you'll never know....

GrahamG

Guru
Zen bollocks aside - it's a good workout, low maintenance, stealthy silent, a challenge, great for modulating speed in traffic hence lots of commuters using them, and I find that you don't even think about the bike (gears etc.) as you just get on with it and enjoy the scenery (which is mostly women on my way to work until the odd weekend ride).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been riding a single-speed bike with a 39/15 gear (~70 inch?) in the midlands recently. I'm a couple of stone overweight so I found that a bit tough on some steepish little hills in north Warwickshire. It got me thinking about why people say fixed is easier uphill. Obviously, the 'easiest' thing would be to just use a lower gear but then I'd spin out when trying to go quickly. I can pedal comfortably at about 24 mph in 39/15 which is fine for knocking about in lanes. I freewheel downhill above about 30 mph.

I think the point being made is that if you are a bit overgeared on a climb, it is better to be on fixed than single-speed. After a couple of rides it dawned on me why... I found the problem on s/s on steep climbs was the 'deadspot' at the top of each pedal stroke. My cadence was so low that I was having to use brute strength to get the pedal over the top and get my weight down on it. Once the weight was on the pedal, it wasn't too bad for another 120 degrees or so. On fixed, the momentum of the bike would force the pedals round through the deadspots.

The main thing that puts me off fixed is going down steep hills - I really wouldn't fancy that. I've heard too many horror stories about nasty crashes due to accidental unclipping, that kind of thing.

PS I enjoy riding my geared bikes in Yorkshire, but I have to admit that the single-speed bike is very light and simple (and cheap!) and it is nice to just pedal and forget gears for a while. Easier said than done actually - I find myself reaching for the gear levers for the first 20 minutes or so of each s/s ride.

peejay78

yenrod said:
Why the hell ride a 'fixed wheel' when you can have a spread of gears !

It just dont make sense !

most of us who ride fixed also ride geared.

and know when to opt for fixed, and when geared.

those who just ride gears, or just fixed, don't get it. i put you in that bracket.

peejay78

my post was a bit arsey, yes, as is the 'why the hell' comment.

but nevermind, i guess i was trying to say, in silly, forum responsive way, that there are plenty of very good reasons for riding fixed. or geared.

i was reductive in response to a reductive post.

peejay78

you have the same number of posts too.

how weird.

bagpuss

Guru
Seen the BOOT {History test for you}riding his fixed many a time. Yellow wool sweater in winter. He had no trouble sitting on the back of a club run up the Via Gella in Derbyshire.

Top Bottom