wow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
touring down to cornwall from hull.

was tired and thought of camping at sherwood forest holiday site.

didn't bother as I thought it may be expensive and would n't compare with the £6 and Camping and Caravanning where I am.

In the pub currently and thought I would look up their prices

http://www.sherwoodforestholidaypark.co.uk/prices.html

weekdays £14
weeked £33
weekends £60

glad I didn't stay. Anyone been?

These can't be prices bicycle tourists would pay surely?

stephenjubb said:
weekdays £14
weeked £33
weekends £60

These can't be prices bicycle tourists would pay surely?

Nooo .. thats dinner - 2 pints of cider and a cheap campsite fee ;)

Simon

Brains

Legendary Member
To be fair it depends on the campsite - we were charged £22 for one night, one small hike tent and two bikes, arrived at 11.30pm and left at 8am.
Showers were great though.

Given the cost of running a campsite if you only charge £5 a night you end up with a Scout campsite, it has the basics, but that is not what people expect now-a-days.

The best camp sites have a loo, shower, electricity, wifi on every pitch and that is just for the tents, for the caravans they have have level pitches, sewerage, mains water plug in etc. The days of the central loo block have gone

We stayed at this place €29 a night, with all the above facilities
http://www.koorn-aar.nl/engels/index.html

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Most i paid on my way down was £10 at Cheddar and the cheapest was £4 in between Biddeford & Bude which turned out to the best for facilities and nice clean site.
Where are you now on your trip ?

Armegatron

I paid £3 a night when camping via the car + tent at Havens "Blue Dolphin" park. Had a lovely few days at Scarborough :becool:

doog

My recent experiences are this:

1. Woodland camp site (minimal facilities with £2 shower) :biggrin: £6.50

2. Farmers field with purpose built shower block / loos / microwave £10

3. Lovely designated site with spotless facilities / shop £10- soap in washrooms, free washing tablets in laundry . I turned up looking shattered and stated ' one bloke, bike and small tent- no electrics needed' and they seemed to take pitty on me.

In all cases im sure they just made the rate up on the spot

I dont feel comfortable with paying over £10 and would rather rough camp. I basically paid the above rates for the benefit of a hot shower

rualexander

Legendary Member
aramok said:
No way would I pay that. You can get a good B&B for 2 people with on suite bathroom for that price.
Not very likely these days.

As far as the prices for the Sherwood Forest campsite are concerned, they are a rip-off, although it does say that the prices are for four people and a car so hopefully they would have some other price for a single or couple of cyclists.
I would be reluctant to pay more than £8-£10 for camping and even that I would consider expensive.

toekneep

We've just come back from fifteen days touring in the north of England and mostly paid £10 per night for varying facilities. One large site in Siloth kept us waiting for twenty minutes while the warden finished a repair in the toilets then took out a table of rates and a calculator and managed to conjure up £23 for one night for a two man tent. We politely told him where to stuff it and found another site for £10 (Tanglewood) just down the road. They try and justify it by pointing out all the facilities that we don't want such as swimming pool, games rooms, club, bar etc. I don't see why they can't have a basic rate that doesn't include the use of these facilities. Apart from the obvious complication of policing it of course.

Crankarm

Guru
toekneep said:
We've just come back from fifteen days touring in the north of England and mostly paid £10 per night for varying facilities. One large site in Siloth kept us waiting for twenty minutes while the warden finished a repair in the toilets then took out a table of rates and a calculator and managed to conjure up £23 for one night for a two man tent. We politely told him where to stuff it and found another site for £10 (Tanglewood) just down the road. They try and justify it by pointing out all the facilities that we don't want such as swimming pool, games rooms, club, bar etc. I don't see why they can't have a basic rate that doesn't include the use of these facilities. Apart from the obvious complication of policing it of course.

"That's mighty expensive........... does that include evening meal and breakfast in bed?"

bigjim

Legendary Member
This is always the problem for the lone traveller. Everything is geared up to cater for at least 2 people. B&Bs are the same. You pay a room rate that includes facilities for 2 people. I've been looking for a holiday abroad for 1. Forget it. It just does not seem to exist yet there are so many reports of more people living alone. I don't by the way but would enjoy a bit of me time now and again.

toekneep

Well there were two of us actually but the crazy thing is the warden actually told us that we should be aware of the price before we made a decision to stay. He was obviously expecting us to reject it, I think he was even a little bit embarrassed.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Catrike UK said:
I recommend joining the Camping and Caravanning Club
Good facilities, but their campsites do tend to be mostly at the more expensive end. Some are also caravan & motorhome only (no tents allowed).

Ben Lovejoy said:
Good facilities, but their campsites do tend to be mostly at the more expensive end. Some are also caravan & motorhome only (no tents allowed).

Start at £2.40 a night and I have never seen a caravan and camper only site, I think you are confusing it with the Caravan Club.

Top Bottom