wow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Brains said:
The days of the central loo block have gone

I hope not. I really hope there is still a place for the cheap basic campsite.

Ime, the more expensive ones are exactly the ones I don't want to stay at since they usually cater for families and, therefore, kids.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Catrike UK said:
I think you are confusing it with the Caravan Club.
Ah, I think you're right. Sorry, as you were.

Mark_Robson

toekneep said:
We've just come back from fifteen days touring in the north of England and mostly paid £10 per night for varying facilities. One large site in Siloth kept us waiting for twenty minutes while the warden finished a repair in the toilets then took out a table of rates and a calculator and managed to conjure up £23 for one night for a two man tent. We politely told him where to stuff it and found another site for £10 (Tanglewood) just down the road. They try and justify it by pointing out all the facilities that we don't want such as swimming pool, games rooms, club, bar etc. I don't see why they can't have a basic rate that doesn't include the use of these facilities. Apart from the obvious complication of policing it of course.
That wasn't Stanwix Park by any chance was it?

toekneep

Mark_Robson said:
That wasn't Stanwix Park by any chance was it?

That's the one. I should also point out that it was recommended by the TIC staff after I pointed out that we didn't like big sprawling sites with leisure facilities. :smile:

Crankarm said:
It might be a good idea but the thought of joining an organisation with caravanning in the title turns me cold :smile:.

Cranky, you have never been the kind of person to not cut off your nose to spite your face so I would expect nothing less, however those that cycle tour and camp can make their own choices, it has saved me a lot of money over the years and given me access to a huge number of sites, they have always been secure, clean and well maintained with basic facilities and friendly staff, in the last 5 years I have not stayed on a non club site in this country as I have always found a convenient one, as I say I have never paid more that £8, on some sites they have squeezed me in in high season and refused payment, on others I have paid as little as £3 a night and I get free nights as part of a loyalty scheme as well.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yello said:
I hope not. I really hope there is still a place for the cheap basic campsite.

Ime, the more expensive ones are exactly the ones I don't want to stay at since they usually cater for families and, therefore, kids.

A friend of mine said that in France he'd always prefer to find a 2* site rather than a 3*, because all you get extra at a 3* is stuff you don't want if you're a basic camper and you pay more, and there are usually lots of kids.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and we recently used a camping and caravanning site - to park a car for a fortnight while we were abroad. Very obliging owner, only wanted a fiver a week, as opposed to the £80 a week at the port. We parked up and rode the 8 miles into Portsmouth.

That site was basically just a field, so more suited for caravans and motorhomes with toilets/showers etc.

One chap there apparently, stays there over summer, and sets off in September to drive to Morocco for the winter. In his 80's.

Top Bottom