Wrapping over old tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Hi All,
I brought my defy composite new in July and the tape on the left side is pretty much coming off now (bit soon but hey)

I've brought some new GEL tape in an attempt to wrap it myself. My question is, should I take the old tape completely off or wrap over it?

My buddy reckons I should wrap over it ?

What do you think?

U

User6179

I always take it off the drops but leave the old tape on the hoods and tape over it .

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
how big are your hands? Mine are quite small and I find a couple of wraps of bar tape a tad uncomfortable for gripping my thumb around after a while, I get tendon ache from the added stretch which is more of a discomfort than the bit of extra road buzz that a double layer cuts out over a single.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Depends on if you suffer on long rides etc. I remove old tape when I re-wrap bars, but some people prefer to leave it on to give some extra padding.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My FSA wing bars are a bit thin on the parts below the levers, so I've double wrapped those. I don't double wrap as a matter of course though - I'd sooner use gel pads where I need the padding.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I double wrap the bars on my road bikes, but that's just personal preference.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've just decided: I'm going to try double wrapping right now!

EDIT: Done. A classically messy job in marmosettian style. Besides, with me on the bike, nobody's going to notice a bit of shabby bar tape, believe me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom