Wrecked tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domeo

For those that commute on fixed.

This morning I stopped to change a softening tube on the rear. Although I check over the frame, chain and other mechanicals regularly I only check my tyres when fixing a puncture. The rear, having a full 'guard over it doesn't even benefit from casual viewing. So I was absolutely p****d off :angry: to find that the tyre has lost or holes 70% ish of the outer skin and even the carcass is wearing through. So tyre is going in the bin tonight. Riding along i was trying work out the cause. I've come to the conclusion that it is because when I stop with the pedals out of position I lean slightly down on the front whilst holding the front brake and lift the rear and turn the pedals, by using the side still clipped in in one movement. I've been doing this so long that I barely even think about it any more. I think the killer is that I've noticed that I then just drop the rear. I have a top bag on the rack which is pretty full most days and the tyre (conti GP4000) has done at least 2500 miles since March.

So a salutory message for all.

RedBike

I found riding fixed was really hard on the rear tyre.

On the MTB (which was often fixed gear) I commuted along a lot of muddy / gravel tracks. When the trails were wet it was very easy to lock the rear wheel while leg braking. That and the fact alot of the route was tarmac meant that the wear rate on my knobbly rear tyre was horrific.

Mind you my roadie fixie always used to wear the rear tyre out very quickly too; and I never deliberately skidded that. In fact the higher gear ratio meant I couldn't skid stop the road bike even if I wanted to!

potsy

Rambler
I'd say you've had your moneys worth now 2500 miles isn't bad is it?
I try to check mine at least once a week with bike upside down,only takes a couple of minutes,are you going for same again?

2500's not bad I got 2900 out of my last back tyre although it was 95% still OK for a few hundred miles it had cut up at one spot in particular and when it started to p'ture on every second ride I decided to replace it. I switched the front to the rear, which was also 2900miles old and have done another 1800 no problem and put a new tyre on the front.

I expected the new/ second hand rear to fail sooner and have a new spare for the front sitting here since mid June. I think I'll go an examine the rear again. Its had no p'tures but on last nights ride I was getting a bit of back spin when powering up steep hills. :blush:

Top Bottom