Wretched, pitiful, damnable people!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I heard on Radio 4 while in bed this morning that those swines at the MET Office have predicted that spring will be four weeks late this year ... Yep, that's right, winter weather is to linger for fully one month longer than usual.

Bastards!

I am going to write a letter of complaint to God and I suggest you do the same. This kind of thing is simply unacceptable!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Relax! After their prediction of a BBQ summer and a mild winter, you should be happy they're predicting a late spring. The sun will be cracking the flags by March!

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Ah! But you see, the previous two predictions were for good weather and so they were bound to be wrong!

This prediction is for bad weather ... so it will be correct! Bah, humbug, misery, grumble, when I was a lad, state of things today, etc ...

Hang on a second. Yesterday the Met still predicted rain, light showers and heavy showers for the rest of the week. I cycled in this morning and it was dry; I look out of the window now and see a nice clear blue sky with some patchy, friendly white clouds. The "bad weather" prediction was obviously wrong.

The Met's forecast for the late arrival of spring is surely backed up by a confidence inspiring certainty level of about 35% at best.

Occasionally you get stories about a "monkey" picking stocks and the results are then pitched against stock recommendations made by "serious" equity analysts. The monkey usually wins.

The Met has excellent potential to improve the accuracy of its forecasts by adopting this monkey approach. All it needs is a blindfolded weatherman, a pinboard, and then "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey". Hey presto: a weather forecast. A more sophisticated approach would involve multiple pinboards: one with a temperature range, one with wind speeds, one with level of cloud cover, that kind of granularity. The weatherman will have some explaining to do if the forecast is for 0% cloud cover combined with heavy rain, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

All that remains is the production of some computer graphics to morph a current satellite photo into the "desired" outcome that matches the weatherman's pin-the-donkey forecast.

Tim Bennet. said:
Relax! After their prediction of a BBQ summer and a mild winter, you should be happy they're predicting a late spring. The sun will be cracking the flags by March!

That was this year as well!

Do you reallytrust them?

brokenbetty

Über Member
For what it's worth, the weather while I was riding in this morning was glorious. Clear blue skies and building tops glowing in the morning sun.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lets be honest, predicting the weather is bloody hard, the longer the time scale is, the harder it gets. Long range forcasts are pretty pointless.

Crankarm

Guru
The Government are up to our eyeballs in debt. If the Met Office is still a government agency full of pampered civil servants, which I think it might be, and given their track record on forecasting has been soooo breathtakingly wrong in the past, more recently and futher back, then I know where the axe should fall with an almighty chop.

Norm

WimbledonCyclist said:
Hang on a second. Yesterday the Met still predicted rain, light showers and heavy showers for the rest of the week. I cycled in this morning and it was dry; I look out of the window now and see a nice clear blue sky with some patchy, friendly white clouds. The "bad weather" prediction was obviously wrong.
Indeed. The weather forecast for this whole week was 1-3 degrees and snow. Riding into town this morning, I baked in just a t shirt and fleece and I haven't seen a cloud all day.

So, if this is the snow which they are forecasting, bring it on.:angry:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I actually hope they are right and this winter goes on FOR EVER!
It's the best one we've had for years and there's still so much to do.

attachment.php

Top Bottom