Wretched, pitiful, damnable people!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks great that Tim but it was too scary for me. I tried some one winter but it left rock climbing behind on the 'committed to this with no protection' scale.

Crankarm

Guru
Tim Bennet. said:
I actually hope they are right and this winter goes on FOR EVER!
It's the best one we've had for years and there's still so much to do.

attachment.php

Are you trying to get up your garden path to the gate :angry:?

Matthames

Über Member
Crankarm said:
The Government are up to our eyeballs in debt. If the Met Office is still a government agency full of pampered civil servants, which I think it might be, and given their track record on forecasting has been soooo breathtakingly wrong in the past, more recently and futher back, then I know where the axe should fall with an almighty chop.

The met office is still a government agency run by the MOD, however it is not as simple as that as they also run as a private company.

Actually you would find that the short range forecasts they do are surprisingly accurate considering the amount of data they have to produce them. Long range forecasting at the met office to be honest is pretty dire, but long range forecasting is always going to be a shot in the dark all thanks to the chaotic nature of the atmosphere. Medium range forecasts are actually done by another agency of which the met office does have some input into.

To give you an idea of how difficult it is to produce a weather forecast. Try to imagine a picture of a football match which has been made into a jigsaw puzzle, get rid of 75% of the pieces including important ones with players and the ball. Then from the rest of the jigsaw puzzle try to work out what happens next. Then to simulate what long range forecasting is like, try to guess what happens for the rest of the game.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Best weather forecast I ever got was when as a boy I told the bike shop man I was off to cycle in North Wales. "If you can't see the hills, it's raining. And if you can see the hills, it's about to rain."

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I actually think the Metoffice are rather good at short term forecasts, very useful chaps indeed. Long term ones are just a joke, but that's not the fault of the Metoffice.

The Met office has one of the most powerful computers in the country. However this is obviously wasted on them as they still get it wrong and all that power would be better utilised by having the entire country playing CoD together at the same time.

They do have a revenue stream by providing very detailed 2-3 day forecasts for specific locations (such as oil rigs) were things such as wave heights are forecast as they can effect rig operations.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
XmisterIS said:
I think I'm going to put on an album by Enya and start hacking at my wrists with a blunt knife ... :tongue:

Don't you think that's over reacting just a little bit? ;)
There's no need for that. It might seem like the end of the world, but Enya isn't going to help...

Bandini

XmisterIS said:
I heard on Radio 4 while in bed this morning that those swines at the MET Office have predicted that spring will be four weeks late this year ... Yep, that's right, winter weather is to linger for fully one month longer than usual.

Bastards!

I am going to write a letter of complaint to God and I suggest you do the same. This kind of thing is simply unacceptable!

Luckily the weather forecasts are complete b*******. They can't predict a few hours ahead accurately.

Number Two in this list:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18380_the-6-most-statistically-full-shoot-professions.html

Norm

XmisterIS said:
I heard on Radio 4 while in bed this morning that those swines at the MET Office have predicted that spring will be four weeks late this year ... Yep, that's right, winter weather is to linger for fully one month longer than usual.

Bastards!
That may well be the last seasonal forecast we see. Which is probably a good thing, given how impossible they have proved.

Crankarm

Guru
Give everyone in the Met Office their P45. Despite their incompetent forecasting senior managers have received very substantial bonuses. Disgraceful.

Top Bottom