Wrexham area cyclists/clubs/routes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
So I'm off to study at the Wrexham campus of Bangor university in a few weeks!
My general impression from looking around is that it's a bit of a boy racer infested shithole:biggrin: But the uni has a good reputation and the countryside looks great for cycling (proper hills!!)
Anyone from around that way? Any good cycling clubs? Recommended routes/roads?
I'm also looking for somewhere to live if anyone knows which areas to avoid, (or has a room for rent;))?

Joe said:
My general impression from looking around is that it's a bit of a boy racer infested shithole:biggrin: But the uni has a good reputation and the countryside looks great for cycling (proper hills!!)
I'm also looking for somewhere to live if anyone knows which areas to avoid, (or has a room for rent;))?

Hi Joe,

I work in Chirk and live in Llangollen so I know Wrexham pretty well. To be honest it's all much of a muchness. The worst part is the centre of Caia Park (riots there a few years back) and you might have problems with accommodation because of the very high level of migrant workers in the town.

It's a great spot for starting cycle routes as there's tremendous variety round about including some classic routes such as the climb to Bwlchgwyn (the highest village in Wales) the blast across the moors and the Horseshoe Pass on the way back.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want some specific information.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers Patrick.
It does seem excellent for cycling! I did the Dave Lloyd sportive this year, which started in Ruthin, and it was some of the most amazing scenery I've ridden through:biggrin:
I may well contact you for some info once I'm settled in and everything!
Now if only I could pronounce some of these place names:blush:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Joe said:

Hi Joe,

I live not far from Wrexham and I know that cyclists from that area frequently use a route which goes through Overton on Dee; out to St. Martins and then through Weston Rhyn and out along the Ceiriog Valley. The Ceiriog Valley is excellent for cycling, being reasonably quiet - and very scenic. You could cycle out to Llanarmon and back through Rhiwlas or Selattyn; or (if you are really fit) you could even take the (long) 1 in 4 out Glyn Ceiriog and go over the tops to Llangollen. You might be interested in the Cambrian Challenge later this month; I've decided to give it a go. I expect it will be rather hilly - which will be character building. See

http://www.northshropshirewheelers.co.uk/9th Cambrian.htm

If you wish to avoid the hills, I'd recommend heading out towards Broxton and Tattenhall, or even towards Whitchurch.

As Patrick has stated, the Horseshoe Pass is great in either direction. Not far from there is a great Mountain Biking Venue at Llandegla - which I thoroughly recommend. They hire out bikes if you don't have your own. Oh yes, it has a very good cafe. I'd never done any mountain biking before I went there, but I found it to be rather entertaining. There are 4 or 5 different routes for all abilities.

All the best

pubrunner said:
You might be interested in the Cambrian Challenge later this month; I've decided to give it a go. I expect it will be rather hilly - which will be character building.

It usually passes by my house. I've done it once and found it extremely hard. It was 55 miles of climbing and descending.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
It usually passes by my house. I've done it once and found it extremely hard. It was 55 miles of climbing and descending.

Hi Patrick,

I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with a very brief description of the course - I'm guess that the course goes to Llangollen and then to Glyn Ceiriog - but that's nothing like 55 miles; where does the rest of it go ?.

It worries me that you done it once (presumably you have no desire to do it again) and that it was 'extremely difficult'. I was emailed an entry form by the organisers who describe it as 'manageable'.

More worryingly, I actually sent off the entry form a couple of days ago. I know that I do not have the cycling ability or experience of yourself or most on this forum; my cycling this year has consisted only of a 9 mile outing with my son on a tag-along - about once every three weeks !!! If you found it extremely hard, then I'm certainly going to suffer. I've also got the added difficulty of having only a rather old bike - the smallest chainring is 42 and the largest at the back is 28. Actually, I lack confidence going downhill and if there are any very steep descents (and it is raining) then I'm certainly going to struggle.

Can you remember how long it took to get round ? - I'll add on a hour or so for me. Do they take times ?

Thank you very much for any advice/information !

IF I can get round, I'll have a go at a 100 miler at some time.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:

Sorry to pester you again Patrick . . .

Is it customary to stop at a Cafe (or suchlike) or are there no stops ?

'Extremely hard' - You've got me very worried now. I've done one 40 ride this year; and one 25/30 mile training ride back in March. . . . . . .and that's it - I've never ever cycled further than that. I only entered 'cos the start is only about 2 miles from my house in Trefonen ! In the local area, the cycling clubs seem to be almost entirely involved with time trialling - which doesn't interest me; I'm certainly not up to racing, so I thought that something like this would be ideal. At least I won't be far from home if it all goes pear-shaped.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
Here is the Cambrian Challenge 2007 route, but this must be the offroad version of the route?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...trail/kml/episode.kml?episodePkValues=4085124

Dave.

Many thanks Dodgy; I hope it IS the offroad route. As Patrick has stated, it is almost entirely hills; I don't know if the course is clockwise or anti, but it hardly matters - it will be very tough.

Is anyone else doing it this year ? Am I going to suffer alone ?

This is very rough and ready because it involved a lot of little bits that I didn't even know existed.

Start at Marches School in Oswestry. Head out towards Trefonen, turn right and drop into the Candy valley, up and down until you end up by Llansilin. Flattish bit along valley bottom and then up back road towards Selattyn, back routes round the village and end up in Ceiriog Valley, up the hillside using every route with double vv signs. Get up on Nantyr road, drop down into Llangollen, go straight up another hill via my house to Nantyr road again, over the top of the mountain and into Glyn Ceiriog, up and over the mountains until in the valley by Llansilin, back racecourse road up over the mountain towards Oswestry and then out round the back end of Woodhill and Morda.

I had done a lot of the climbs before but it was the fact that it was all up and down and valleys were only used for short spells to get you to the next valley that made it so difficult. The other problem was that it was very cold and wet. I did it because it was a challenge but, particularly once the rain set in, I didn't enjoy it.

Another problem was that the descending was on seriously steep very narrow roads, so you're on the brakes all the way on wet friable surfaces.

To answer the other questions, there were refuelling stations and a broom wagon, but no lengthy stops. You just stood there eating bananas. Goodness knows how long it took, my bike computer packed up because of the rain, but I'd say about five hours.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
This is very rough and ready because it involved a lot of little bits that I didn't even know existed.

Start at Marches School in Oswestry. Head out towards Trefonen, turn right and drop into the Candy valley, up and down until you end up by Llansilin. Flattish bit along valley bottom and then up back road towards Selattyn, back routes round the village and end up in Ceiriog Valley, up the hillside using every route with double vv signs. Get up on Nantyr road, drop down into Llangollen, go straight up another hill via my house to Nantyr road again, over the top of the mountain and into Glyn Ceiriog, up and over the mountains until in the valley by Llansilin, back racecourse road up over the mountain towards Oswestry and then out round the back end of Woodhill and Morda.

I had done a lot of the climbs before but it was the fact that it was all up and down and valleys were only used for short spells to get you to the next valley that made it so difficult. The other problem was that it was very cold and wet. I did it because it was a challenge but, particularly once the rain set in, I didn't enjoy it.

Another problem was that the descending was on seriously steep very narrow roads, so you're on the brakes all the way on wet friable surfaces.

Thank you Patrick for a very comprehensive reply - you are correct, it is a very tough course. Getting up onto the Nantyr road is going to be extremely tough - I know most of the on and off-road routes up to Nantyr and they are all gruelling. The road on the way back to the Racecourse is also particularly steep. I'm rather (very!!!) concerned about my ageing brakes; I'll find it very difficult to resist the urge to have them clenched on on all the downhills.

I know all the places you've mentioned very well, since I've lived in Hengoed and latterly Trefonen for the last 25+ years and I've now become rather nervous about the whole event.

When you did it, did anyone walk at any stage ? From what you said, I'm worried that it'll be mostly 'elite' cyclists that do it, did you see any 'recreational' (slightly lardy) bikers ? Do many do it ? The event is a few weeks off and already I'm mega-worried !!!

So no cafe stop then ?

I'd better get my bike serviced - where do you take yours - can you recommend anywhere ?

Thank you again for such a great reply - forewarned is forearmed and all that. At least I know now that I'll have to go off at a very conservative pace.

pubrunner said:
Thank you Patrick for a very comprehensive reply - you are correct, it is a very tough course. Getting up onto the Nantyr road is going to be extremely tough - I know most of the on and off-road routes up to Nantyr and they are all gruelling. The road on the way back to the Racecourse is also particularly steep. I'm rather (very!!!) concerned about my ageing brakes; I'll find it very difficult to resist the urge to have them clenched on on all the downhills.

I know all the places you've mentioned very well, since I've lived in Hengoed and latterly Trefonen for the last 25+ years and I've now become rather nervous about the whole event.

When you did it, did anyone walk at any stage ? From what you said, I'm worried that it'll be mostly 'elite' cyclists that do it, did you see any 'recreational' (slightly lardy) bikers ? Do many do it ? The event is a few weeks off and already I'm mega-worried !!!

So no cafe stop then ?

I'd better get my bike serviced - where do you take yours - can you recommend anywhere ?

Thank you again for such a great reply - forewarned is forearmed and all that. At least I know now that I'll have to go off at a very conservative pace.

Well, I walked. ;) However, it was not until a particularly steep pitch going up to the Nantyr Road from the Ceiriog valle at Pant du Uchaf - double chevrons on the map. Until then, I'd been going pretty well. By the time we were in Llangollen, I think just about everyone was walking by Bank Farm at the top of Fron Bache.

I'd certainly get your brakes sorted out. The descent into Llangollen was the Gwernant which is hard enough even on car brakes. The best LBS for you is Stuart Barclay in Oswestry. Stuart's son Peter will almost certainly be doing the MTB route and can give you good advice on what you'll need.

The worst part of the whole thing is the middle section which I've outlined above. If you can do that, then you'll have no problem with the rest except that the fatigue really does kick in during the later stages.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Hey pubrunner
I had a go at the route you mentioned today. Well, a variation of it anyway... owing to the fact that I don't know my way around atall. As you can see!:tongue:

That 1 in 4 out of the valley is a killer! Nearly came a cropper due to toe overlap and zig zagging. I planned to head down from there to Llanglollen and then over Horseshoe Pass and home but I couldn't figure out which road it was, despite trying them all:blush: I was low on food at this point and didn't want to go too far down any of them in case it was the wrong one. So I went back through Chirk (which smelt really strongly of hot chocolate:tongue:) and back the way I came originally.
74 miles (at a not impressive 17mph). Good route though, much nicer roads than I've been riding (keep ending up on fast single lane A roads) and Ceiriog Valley is gorgeous.
Cheers!

Would appreciate any other routes you or anyone else can recommend:tongue:

Top Bottom