Wrexham area cyclists/clubs/routes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Joe said:
That 1 in 4 out of the valley is a killer! Nearly came a cropper due to toe overlap and zig zagging. Would appreciate any other routes you or anyone else can recommend:tongue:

Hi Joe,
Well done on cycling 74 miles - that's 20+ miles more than I've ever done in one go ! And I can assure you, cycling at 17mph for that distance on those particular roads is quite an achievement. There aren't many flat sections. I'd be interested to know what speeds you usually manage ???

Looking at your map, I think that you went up the wrong 1 in 4; an understandable mistake, 'cos there's a few 1 in 4's around there. What's more, some of them go on for quite a distance. Whether you go from the Ceiriog Valley to Llangollen, or the other way round; there is no escaping the long high ridge between the two.

Another good route would be to take the B4580 out of Oswestry towards Llansilin & Llanrhaeader. Once in Llanrhaeader, take the B4396 towards Llangedwyn and Oswestry. Once you arrive at the A5 at Llynclys, go straight over and follow signs for Maesbury. In Maesbury, look for the cafe which is by the canal. The cafe is very good - all homemade stuff and a nice pot of tea with extra hot water to top it up. It is fairly popular, but I think that quite a few cyclists haven't discovered it yet.

From Maesbury, it would be a straight forward ride to go via Whittington & Ellesmere back to Wrexham. Hark at me telling you about a ride like this; it's a fair bit further than I've ever done.

Do you intend to cycle from & to Wrexham, or do you have the use of a car which could take you to a starting point ?

One of these days, I'd like to join you on a ride, but you are obviously a lot younger and fitter than me !

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
I'll have to try the other 1 in 4's then, I just saw a sign for Llangollen with a 25% sign and assumed that was what you were talking about. The others are longer?:biggrin:

About average speeds. It does vary quite alot, on my old steel road bike with a compact double I was averaging 16-17mph but since getting my nice stiff carbon bike with a standard double I've been averaging 18-20mph. I rarely ride flat routes though as I love climbing. I must say that the hills around here are a bit more serious than the sussex ones I'm used to! I was gagging for something lower than 39-25 up that 1 in 4xx(

I'll have a look at that other route when I get the chance, and I don't drive so all my rides need to start and end in Wrexham.

I'd definitely be up for a ride sometime:tongue:
We could make it a little cyclechat meet if there is anyone else around here?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Joe said:
I'd definitely be up for a ride sometime:tongue:
We could make it a little cyclechat meet if there is anyone else around here?

I'm out for a trip out; any more takers ???

dodgy

I could make it, I ride in those areas fairly often. Though less likely at this time of year. Can you provide a more accurate link to the cafe in Maesbury (using Google maps maybe?)? Sounds like it's worth a visit, so I'll put it on my Google cycle cafe map.

Plax

Guru
pubrunner said:
I'm out for a trip out; any more takers ???

Well I could possibly make it, although it would take me about 1hr 1/2 in the car to get there as I'm over Llanberis end.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi dodgy

I've never used Google maps before, but the cafe is here - Point A

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...2.838447,-3.043213&spn=0.045626,0.109863&z=13

Dodgy, I hope that you are a fairly crap cyclist; but if you cycle around here quite a bit, then probably not. You must be good if you have a Google cycle cafe map - obviously a serious cyclist.

Plax lives in Llanberis, so he's bound to be a strong rider especially on the hills. I believe that Joe only weighs about 5 stone (and that's after a heavy meal):angry:; he does hundreds of miles a week and loves hills. He suggested this idea of a run out, so he's obviously very confident in his own ability.

Sadly, my interest in bikes doesn't include cycling on them very frequently:sad:. I get out merely once every three weeks or so, and not at all between November and February - too cold for my son on his tag-a-long. My t(rusty) steed is 30 years old and I suspect that I'm a fair bit older than you guys; I'm almost certainly more rotund. I don't look like a cyclist and I don't have 'all the gear'. However, I'd like to have a bash at the Cheshire Cat, so perhaps I should 'risk' being humiliated by some serious riders in an effort to get fit. In the past I've had a tendency to 'put off until tomorrow' any training; I should start training now for the Cheshire Cat, not February.

Top Bottom