England : Greater Manchester Wrigley Velo CC - towpath & cyclepath ride Sun 26th Nov 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wrigley Velo

Hi Everybody :hello:

A bit more advanced notice for this ride. The plan is to depart from the Portland Basin Visitors centre in Ashton-under-Lyne at 10am and ride along canals and the Fallowfield Loop cycle path around South Mancheter to the Chill Factore, Just beyond the Trafford Centre.

This is a great introductory ride as the towpath surface is good, the cycle path is excellent and the ride is almost completely flat. There are only about 1.5 miles of road riding in the route and the distance is approx. 15 miles in each direction. A 30 mile ride obviously earns a stop for refreshment and we have a choice as next door to the Chill Factore is a Costa coffee for..... coffee (and cake obviously) or a Weatherspoon's where we can get something from the breakfast menu if that is your cup of tea.

The route is suitable for any bike as the surface is almost completely good tarmac so best road bike, hybrid or mountain bike will do, but it might be slightly slower on the MTB. This won't be a speedy ride and nobody will be left behind.

Route here - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26491358

Ride leader is @I like Skol who is running this ride on behalf of Wrigley Velo CC.

Wrigley Velo CC is a new, friendly, informal cycling club that has just been established in East Manchester. The club intends to be a sociable gathering of like minded riders of all ages who want to ride together for leisure or competition, be it on or off-road.
Anyone is welcome, please come along and meet us to see if this friendly, inclusive club could be for you. :okay:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Might well turn up with Mrs Kes to offer some moral support.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, just a reminder for this ride because it is still on.

I have checked the breakfast times at the big Weatherspoons pub and they serve it until 12 noon. This gives us plenty of time if we set off sharpish at 10am, it's only 15 miles so should roll up around 11.30 :hungry:

Weather forecast is fair. Looks like it will be cold, but at least it should be dry. If you don't fancy the pub breakfast then there is a Costa coffee just next door, and of course as alluded to above by @Kestevan there is a huge Evans cycles if you want to go and drool over the latest bikes before we return.

I will be waiting on the canal towpath facing the visitors centre at Portland Basin from around 9.45, hopefully see some of you there for a nice, unchallenging ride around Manchester :hello:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi @I like Skol.
Current plan is for me to ride over, and Mrs Kes to drive.... Don't know that area of Mordor very well so where's the best place for her to park?

Free parking at Portland Basin Museum - www.tameside.gov.uk/portlandbasin :okay:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Who's up for this?

Weather isn't looking too good but will be doing this anyway (there is a full English at stake!)

Anyone else?

@Kestevan
Yeah, we will be there... Assuming the passes into Mordor are not snow bound....

Fully expecting rain, snow, and hail and probably a small tornado too given the ride organiser.

Any chance you can convince @nickyboy to turn out thereby guaranting a biblical downpour or two.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Cracking ride. I'd honestly never imagined you could ride from one side of Manchester to the other and only spend a mile or so on the roads.

Even the weather was reasonably kind, at least once I'd got over the Isle of sky and out of the snow.

Shame no one else turned up.....

Top Bottom