Wrist based HR monitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Question on usefulness of wrist based hr monitors. Reading up on various watch reviews there is a lot of dubiety on these type of monitors over chest ones. They are fine for reading when say at rest but if hitting the gym and plenty arm/wrist movement they become inaccurate ? What is the consensus amongst the users on this board? Just another gimmick, nice to have but quickly forgotten ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Seem OK to me. Not perfect but what is? Beats wearing an S&M chest strap.

si_c

Guru
Mrs C has a Fitbit with HR, seems to work fine, it does say to tighten the strap a notch so it doesn't slip when doing activities though.

Depends what you need it for. (Garmin Vivosmart HR+ GPS) I use it to check on my heart rate for my commute rides. Plus I LOVE seeing just how low my resting heart rate is. Currently 57bpm.

I use a chest strap at the weekends, maybe a difference of one or two but if you keep the constant the same it doesn't matter.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Question on usefulness of wrist based hr monitors. Reading up on various watch reviews there is a lot of dubiety on these type of monitors over chest ones. They are fine for reading when say at rest but if hitting the gym and plenty arm/wrist movement they become inaccurate ? What is the consensus amongst the users on this board? Just another gimmick, nice to have but quickly forgotten ?
I have a fitbit charge 2 which was cheap and seems pretty accurate. As @mjr says, it beats messing with a chest strap, which I quickly stopped using.

I think a wrist HR monitor like this isnt going away, at least for the near future. Its the simplest way to do it and people are comfortable with the similarity to a watch.

[edit] Ive found it useful as I sit down lot during the day. If it notices I havent moved much, it prompts me to get up and do some walking every hour.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I get more dodgy readings (spikes) and cut outs with my wrist based sensor than I do with a chest strap - especially when cycling, but generally the two follow each other very closely.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have a Garmin 35 running watch with built in HR and a garmin chest strap for with my 520, I checked the two on a turbo session the other day and they were within a beat of each other throughout.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Take a different path and use a Withings (now Nokia) watch. Elegant.

https://health.nokia.com/uk/en/stee...EbD-07djlxGypUay40PH6HhkKydztvcBoCugoQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
thanks for the feedback, still deliberating over an all in one device for running/cycling and gym sessions. Wrist based HR seems to be common amongst all makes these days.

vickster

Legendary Member
Charge 2 HR is fine for monitoring average resting HR etc but I wouldn’t rely on it for any sort of serious training

nickAKA

Über Member
Charge 2 HR is fine for monitoring average resting HR etc but I wouldn’t rely on it for any sort of serious training

That's the opinion of DC Rainmaker (and others) on wrist-based HRMs too; fine for general use, not so good for high intensity efforts. If you don't mind wearing a chest strap (I prefer it to a watch TBH) it's the most reliable way to go.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's the opinion of DC Rainmaker (and others) on wrist-based HRMs too; fine for general use, not so good for high intensity efforts. If you don't mind wearing a chest strap (I prefer it to a watch TBH) it's the most reliable way to go.
I’m not bothered either way, not training for anything. Decided to get a wrist monitor and the Charge 2 happened to have HR

Good to know my resting HR is consistently in the mid 50s

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mrs @BoldonLad was given a cheap (£20) “Fitbit” type watch. Out of amusement, and, because I like “gadgets”, I bought a similar one for myself. Quite impressed with how accurately is measured distance/steps, and sleep. No way to check HR readings, but, based on other readings, I assume it is reasonably accurate, at least in terms of rate of change, if not in terms of absolute readings.

Top Bottom