Wrist guards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedFeend

As some of you know I am a cycling returner and am asking dumb questions.
This time I would like to know if anyone wears wrist guards. I am thinking about the sort of thing my son used to have for skate boarding. I am the wrong side of 50 and am aware of how easy it is to get a broken wrist if you put your hand out to break a fall. Is there any protection out there, or is this type of injury uncommon?

Saying 'don't fall off' is not really an option esp as I intend to go 'clipless' soon.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm the wrong side of 60 and I just wear gloves and mitts in the summer

You need to weigh up all the benefits and costs then decide. The health benefits of cycling dramatically outweigh the hazards

I noted you also inquired about helmets.

Here is the issue. Cycling is inherently no more dangerous per mile than walking (Wardlaw, BMJ), and has te beauty that you cen just get out there and do it

If you start to wear a helmet, wrist guards, body armour, knee pads, elbow pads (and the DfT has advocated knee and elbow pads) then it becomes unwieldy and difficult.

For most cyclists the injuries are similar to those received in a fall as a pedestrian. Ask yourself if you would take these precautions if you were walking the same journey.

gavintc

Guru
I agree with Cunobelin. The media has successfully positioned cycling as a 'dangerous' activity. Indeed, as cyclists we do not help ourselves - look at the threads on commuting. But, you need to put this into perspective. I ride most days on my commute and 'sadly' my experiences are pretty boring. I have the odd close one, but the vast majority of cycle rides are completely uneventful. Wrist guards, body armour etc are unnecessary. You are far more at risk from the pork pie and pint of beer you had for lunch.

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

Thanks for your answers. I agree that society is becoming ridiculously risk averse, and I am not contemplating encasing myself in a Kevlar suit (would not prevent the effects of forward motion of the brain within the skull anyway). I am sounding out this experienced community for their opinions. My background is really in horses. That is where my knowledge and experience lie, so I am learning what I can about cycling from those who (I reckon) know better than I.

Davidc

Guru
As gavintc, agree with Cunobelin, also numbnuts.

As I said on your other thread the one piece of safety kit I won't ride without is some form of eye protection. The number of high speed sharp stones flying around, plus grit and dust, plus insects, make that worthwhile.

Over the past 50 years I've ridden something between 250,000 and 500,000 miles. I've had a few offs, but no head injuries beyond a few scratches. I had a nastily ripped up arm in 1962. In 1972 I was involved in a nasty accident. My bike needed repairing, I didn't. Apart from those I'd agree with gavintc's assessment.

I have had far worse injuries in cars than on a bike, and have sadly seen several other people dead after car collisions, one on a bike. Over 2/3 of those were as a direct result of alcohol.

It's impossible to protect yourself from all risks. If that drunk doing 70 mph in a town centre street hits you as a pedestrian, cyclist, motor cyclist, or in a car - not your fault but you're the dead or maimed victim. If you want negligible risk then fly.

Since they appeared I sometimes wear a helmet, especially if it's cold, and I've given in over organised rides where insurers insist on helmets*. Useful under canal bridges, but the extra height may account for some of the bumps, and I don't expect the helmet to help at all if I have an off or a collision. On the other hand I've had the fronts of sports or shatterproof glasses broken 3 times. Bruised eyes or more would have been possible without.

*One day someone will be injured in an event as a result of forced wearing of a helmet - could be interesting!

Edit - remembered that once it was a pair of prescription glasses that got smashed!

OP
OP
RedFeend

RedFeend

As gavintc, agree with Cunobelin, also numbnuts.

As I said on your other thread the one piece of safety kit I won't ride without is some form of eye protection. The number of high speed sharp stones flying around, plus grit and dust, plus insects, make that worthwhile.

Since they appeared I sometimes wear a helmet, especially if it's cold, and I've given in over organised rides where insurers insist on helmets*. Useful under canal bridges, but the extra height may account for some of the bumps, and I don't expect the helmet to help at all if I have an off or a collision. On the other hand I've had the fronts of sports or shatterproof glasses broken 3 times. Bruised eyes or more would have been possible without.

*One day someone will be injured in an event as a result of forced wearing of a helmet - could be interesting!
Thanks for your insights. Lots to think about. I definitely want some (preferably snazzy) glasses. For one thing I find bright sunlight painful and also the wind where I live makes my eyes water, and of course there are the stones.

One piece of helmet research I read found that 4 young children had strangled themselves with their helmet straps
and died. They were not riding at the time. (Can't remember the time span).

Makes you think.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I broke my collar bone because I put my arms out to save me, it's not always the wrist, its where the energy of the impact stops. everyone then said to me "don't put your arms out... tuck in". you think you won't remember to, but you do! I've fell off twice since, tucked in and got off with bruising (although it still hurts and you feel like you've done a few rounds with Tyson for a few weeks).

so my advice is... TUCK IN

Top Bottom