Writing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Does anyone here write? Stories, articles, academia as a hobby. I have two books on the go and study ancient history and will write the odd contribution here and there. Have done a lot on cycling provisions lately and been invited to liaise with local council in a small way.

Yes. Done my share of academic stuff (research papers / PhD thesis) and did a stint in the motorsport media covering mainly oval and club racing.

Currently working on an anthology of poems plus a sci-fi novel, and, just for fun, a Babylon 5 fanfic epic in three volumes.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I thoroughly enjoy writing (fiction) but have no interest in publishing... it's just a great way to pass the time and lose myself in my imagination, especially on days like today when it drizzly all day long.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My books are, I'm told are contemporary fantasy. I would publish given a chance. Had the first two chapters of one turned into a pilot script. Nothing came of it though. Currently I am hoping to write enough in the right way to inspire the local council to actually do anything meaningful.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
They say everyone has a book in them, unfortunately I’m not that gifted so no books in me. My brother in law however has this wonderful gift, he’s had several books published including a trilogy turned in to a TV drama and one book adapted into quite a popular film.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I can imagine that having seen people writing fanzines in the past. I have become very interested in writing about cycling since C-19 and the increase general cycling as daily transport. I am enjoying having input with the local council and hopefully it will result in becoming normal over time.

Yes have contributed to two construction books in last few years and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. English Lit A level and three theses in the old locker definitely helps, but you certainly get rusty.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I've written and published fiction over the years. First published back in the 80s with some horror and ghost short stories (and a number of unpublished crime/thriller novels). In more recent times I wrote 10 western novels that did get published - despite me living a long way from the wild west, both in miles and years. Luckily, the westerns didn't have to be very long which meant I could manage them whilst working. Alas, the publisher has ceased publishing westerns now and I've lost a bit of mojo. They are going to publish a short story of mine sometime this month, supposedly. I'm rather hoping that when / if I ever retire I might have a go a bit more seriously.

Last edited:
Yes have contributed to two construction books in last few years and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. English Lit A level and three theses in the old locker definitely helps, but you certainly get rusty.

Which is exactly why I try to do bits on as regular a basis as possible. :blush: Even if it goes nowhere; playing around with random lines of poetry that may or may not lead to something, or just writing a steamy one shot... :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've written and published fiction over the years. First published back in the 80s with some horror and ghost short stories (and a number of unpublished crime/thriller novels).
In that case, why not have a go at this...?

Competition blurb said:
Do you like ghost stories? Do you have an idea for a spine-tingling spooky tale to enjoy by the fireside? Then why not put pen to paper and take a shot at our Autumn short story competition.

We are looking for stories (maximum of 1,200 words) that have a supernatural theme - the spookier the better!

Send your story along with your name, email address and phone number to bestfiction2020@hearst.co.uk with "best fiction 2020" in the subject line.

Closes midnight 15 Sept 2020

Entries will be judged by 5 October and a winner, plus 2 runners-up will be picked shortly afterwards, chosen by a team at Best.

I'm intending to have a go.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm convinced I still have that cycle travel book in me somewhere, I will start writing my day trips and further afield bits down methinks and see what comes out.

Top Bottom