Wrong gear being displayed/selected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gweglez

Hello, new here but got a problem

I have a Falcon Renegade (cheap jobby to get me to and from work, feel free to laugh)

It has Simano EZ fire trigger gears/derauliers etc.

The problem is that when the handlebar display on the right says i'm in 5th the gear on the rear sprocket is on 6th etc, I've read about this elsewhere and tried adjusting things with the high/low screws (and also a couple of other screws) on the rear deraulier to no avail but it did get it closer. I'll get pictures up when I'm free tomorrow but hoping you guys can shine some light for me. Till I get this fixed it's the motorbike for me!

The high/low screws are simply to limit the movement of the rear dérailleur, to stop it moving too far either way, so that it doesn't hit the spokes or move too far the other way, so that the chain comes off after the smallest cog.

What you need to do is undo the bolt holding the end of the cable onto the dérailleur, whilst still holding the cage itself so that it doesn't move, then at the same time push the cage towards the spokes slightly whilst pulling out on the cable, then re-tighten. The dérailleur should now be moved in a bit more, meaning the indicator and actual gear you're in, tie up. If not, re-do the process. Make sure the chain still fits onto top and bottom gear. If not, use the high/low screws. When you're turning the pedals if the chain is juddering and sounds like it's trying to change gear, fine tune it by unscrewing or screwing in the barrel adjuster on the gear cable.

Or just search YouTube for videos about how to adjust gears.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Gear indexing is out of alignment. If possible you may be able to correct the problem by tightening the cable tension adjuster (anticlockwise to tension the cable) , the part of the rear derailleur that the gear cable passes through.

Top Bottom