Wrynose or Bust 29th April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge705

Looks an half decent challenge 3 routes to choose from Think I'll have a go at the Bay Dash 60 miler I’ve mapped the route on gpx or tcx if anyone wants it as they don’t supply one.

Anyone comment on the route as it does use a couple of main roads and its goes over tow top which I believe has some poor road surface

Ajay

Veteran
For a far more interesting ride you could save yourself the entry fee and join us on saturday :thumbsup: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ha...et-lanes-of-n-lancs-s-cumbria-28-april.96744/ although we won't be going at sportive-pace! We go past the bottom of the Tow Top descent, so you could always have a blast up it (on your own) if you really wanted to stretch your chain!

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

For a far more interesting ride you could save yourself the entry fee and join us on saturday :thumbsup: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ha...et-lanes-of-n-lancs-s-cumbria-28-april.96744/ although we won't be going at sportive-pace! We go past the bottom of the Tow Top descent, so you could always have a blast up it (on your own) if you really wanted to stretch your chain!

I'd have joined you all but I couldn't really justify the full day I've got workmen in anyway on the Saturday - I agree about the fee I was not thinking of paying the full fee instead riding the course and donating directly to the supported charity but a tenner instead of 27 quid the feed stops will always give you a cup of tea if it's cold they usually have a charity bucket

Ajay

Veteran
Yep, it's a charity fundraising event so I don't begrudge them asking the fee. The route is a little unimaginative though, using the same roads "out and back" when there are so many good alternatives.

pally83

Über Member
Can't comment on the route but I have registered to participate. Looking forward to it as it'll be my first sportive. Hopefully the weather will improve as that Tow Top descent is the one bit I'm wary of - especially if it's wet.

Garz

Squat Member
Done this the past two years however judging by the recent weather I think I may cop out this year (was going to drop down to the bay dash length). Cycling has been poor lately so fitness is behind schedule now, last year was pretty decent weather - 2010 was wet and very nerving descending the wrynose with brakes full on steaming at the bottom.

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Gutted the weather looks sheeite. I dont mind wind or gusts but combined with heavy showers its gonna be miserable not worth the hassle what a bummer I was really looking forward to it

Garz

Squat Member
Did you guys sign up and pay beforehand?

My colleague was gunning for the full event but for fitness reasons I put off the sign-up to the morning. So glad I did now as I'm sure even the die-hards would have given it a miss..

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Did you guys sign up and pay beforehand?

My colleague was gunning for the full event but for fitness reasons I put off the sign-up to the morning. So glad I did now as I'm sure even the die-hards would have given it a miss..

No I always leave it till near the event before signing up especially this time of the year - Looking outside now anyone caught up in this will sure to suffer could even get hyperthermia - I've been caught out before over Quermore similar weather with 10 miles to a cafe stop I just made it not a nice feeling hence why I pulled out of this event after looking at the weather forecast last night - B interesting to hear from anyone who did either of the events - Shame cos this time last year we were basking in sunshine the weather at the mo is bonkers

pally83

Über Member
Completed the Bay Dash in 4hrs 7 mins. Horrible wind most of the way round nearly forced me to stop a couple of times. Would do it again - on a nice day it would be very pretty.

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Completed the Bay Dash in 4hrs 7 mins. Horrible wind most of the way round nearly forced me to stop a couple of times. Would do it again - on a nice day it would be very pretty.

That's bloody good going What time did you set off? Did you miss the rain? And what about the return journey I dare say a nice northerly behind?

pally83

Über Member
That's bloody good going What time did you set off? Did you miss the rain? And what about the return journey I dare say a nice northerly behind?

I'm quite chuffed with it. Set off at about 8:30 with the first lot and stayed dry until the last few miles when the rain/spray combination got a bit silly.

The return was slightly less windy than the outward left but I'm sure it was just doing whatever would make the final climbs hardest.

Top Bottom