WVM Hassle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Got hassled by a WVM from a local company near home (Jet Tyres -Canvey/Benfleet Reg. ET04 AVH) this morning. I overtook a long line of cars who were waiting to turn left, turned left and assumed primary as it is just before a blind corner and a dangerous place to get stuck with overtaking cars. I was as fast if not faster than surrounding traffic. WVM behind me lent on the horn and tried to undertake me so I countered his action by moving left, as that would have left me in no man's land if he had undertook. He swerved right and overtook not knowing what was coming round the corner shouting obscenities. Let it go, I thought.

Anyway I followed him up the hill and was overtaken a couple of times but I knew he was going to hit traffic in half a mile. Which he did. Saw me approaching and pulled out, in stationary queueing traffic, so he could broach the mid-point of the road to prevent me from passing. At which point I lost it and overtook (safely) and abused him for his actions. :biggrin: Which was regrettable.

Thing is, I use this tyre company regularly, but with me having called this guy an onanist, I've probably lost any moral high ground with which to complain.

Feeling a bit better now.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Err not very much - he threatened your life/limb with his bad driver, so I would most certainly report it and ask the company whether they want to keep your business.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Chris, sorry to hear this - sounds like the guy was just being a complete knob and totally unsafe in his driving. Needs to ease off on the testosterone.

Have you reported him to the company? It's even more important if you're a regular customer as surely you have a bit of clout in that case.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shouldn't be regrettable by any stretch of the imagination Chris. He acted like complete and utter cock.. your abuse back was well deserved. I would still complain anyway

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
These sorts of repeat encounters are one reason why I love having a video camera. It's best to tell them about the camera after the first instance as well as what they did wrong, and then you very rarely get any recurrences.

I can't repeat this enough - tell them they are on camera, as otherwise things can so easily escalate. Almost nobody has the balls to carry on behaving badly when they know they are being recorded.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
BentMikey said:
These sorts of repeat encounters are one reason why I love having a video camera. It's best to tell them about the camera after the first instance as well as what they did wrong, and then you very rarely get any recurrences.

I can't repeat this enough - tell them they are on camera, as otherwise things can so easily escalate. Almost nobody has the balls to carry on behaving badly when they know they are being recorded.

Time the ASC came out again! Thanks for the feedback guys.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I think you've done the right thing, good luck on the outcome! If not thats business lost to them am sure!?

thomas

the tank engine
ChrisKH said:
Thing is, I use this tyre company regularly, but with me having called this guy an onanist, I've probably lost any moral high ground with which to complain.

Feeling a bit better now.

Glad to hear you did email them!! I think it's fair enough if you lost it when someone else is being a twit. Let us know what they say!!

Cab

BentMikey said:

I've pointed at a (switched off) light once and told the driver that it was a camera. Did the trick.

Cab

ChrisKH said:

He risked killing you. You called him a name or something. The moral high-ground is all yours.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have pretended to take a photo with my phone to defuse a situation. It is not a camera phone but they didn't know that :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Cab said:
He risked killing you. You called him a name or something. The moral high-ground is all yours.

I'm not sure he risked killing me, but he was being extraordinarily aggressive and confrontational with a 1 ton vehicle. I did point out to the director the potential for legal proceedings if the guy continued to drive like that in his livery and the possibility that someone actually might get hurt.

Crankarm

Guru
ChrisKH said:
I have just e-mailed the Managing Director of Jet Tyres Limited. Let's see what comes back.

If the MD is also the no nonsense owner worth his salt keen to protect his company image from oafs such as this employee, he'll be signing on come monday morning. Driving such as that may be excused or ingored by some, but potentially losing the company business is not especially bright when you are driving around in a company van. Still the guy will have a lot of time for Christmas shopping. With the credit crunch and fewer miles being driven fewer tyres wearing out the tyre companies must be feeling the pinch too. Oh well hope you get a favourable response. Still a bit frightening. I agree with BM. Carrying a camera is sometimes the only way to get respect. It's remarkable how driver's behaviour changes when they know they are being filmed and with sound too :laugh:. Smile for the camera :laugh:!

Top Bottom