WVM idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
"Why oh why didn't you use the cycle path at the side"...sorry, Couldn't resist that! :tongue:

Those calming measures are a friggin nightmare, there is a stretch of my ride in (on the loud bike route) that has had a few of them placed (waiting for the associated speed humps) for a few weeks they were just left there, a metre out from the road side, with no lighting and a dirty great cast iron bollard on top, just waiting for a car, bike or god forbid a cyclist to run straight into them

this googleimage is too old and still shows the (now missing) speed cushions, but where the one on the right was, now stands a small island with a bollard on, the new speed hump is now installed but for weeks it wasnt and i watched cars come under the bridge and swerve to avoid it at the last minute (as it is on a bend)

you can see the hazard here better, imagine coming under the bridge, through the pinch point to find an island in the "middle of the road"

Rant over

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Cab said:
If the footage of the driver on the phone is more clear in the original footage (pre you-tube crunching) then this is definitely one for plod!
Sadly it's not - light reflecting off his windscreen coupled with the movement of us in opposite directions and my head with the camera attached (at least it stayed on my shoulders!!:biggrin:) means that it's more of a series of images of driver with hand to ear rather than any disctinct phone being visible. Regradless of this though, his driving was still sh*te and without due care. :tongue:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Just got a comment on my video... do you think it's a wind up from someone, or are they really his Son/Daughter... intrigued as to how he'd know about the video, unless his Work have called him in to have a word.

Hopefully it wasn't a "Well done, old bean" type word either.

Bman

Guru
Well by the sound of it, the "Dad" is proud of his actions. :biggrin:

That is if it isnt a wind up as you say.

Maybe he she can clarify the reg no. :becool:

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Just got a comment on my video... do you think it's a wind up from someone, or are they really his Son/Daughter... intrigued as to how he'd know about the video, unless his Work have called him in to have a word.

Hopefully it wasn't a "Well done, old bean" type word either.

I've had this type of thing before, and on this occasion I think it might be genuine. Just a feeling.

StuartG

slower but further
Hmmm - there would not have been a problem if you had been a plodder on a BSO, the difference between 20 & 10 mph would have left enough distance for him to clear you.

That's the nub - your slim profile to the driver gave him little information that you were travelling at a speed that would cause conflict, hence he should give way. His misjudgement of course, may be compounded by being distracted by the phone.

Bikes are slow, fast bikes are a surprise. That's how our brains (mis)work. Yes he could be a thug intimidating you but the number of incidents I experience by all sorts of drivers maybe explained by mistake rather than malevolence. But stuffing him for phone use has to be a result to go for.

Bicycle survival is guessing right when others guess wrong. When did you spot or anticipate he wasn't going to stop?

PBancroft

This is completely offtopic, but am I alone in thinking "Veolia" sounds a bit rude?

I can't say it out loud without a dirty little smile creeping across my phizzog.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kaipaith said:
This is completely offtopic, but am I alone in thinking "Veolia" sounds a bit rude?

I can't say it out loud without a dirty little smile creeping across my phizzog.

Stay away from my house.

:blush:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sounds like one of those miracle ingredients they suddenly announce are in shampoo or macrobiotic yoghurt...

PK99

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I do so hate muppets that just bully their way through, regardless of who has priority (he'd probably have done the same to a car as he's in a lorry).

So do I!

I had to do an emergency stop on the way to Korfball with my daughter last night.

My line of traffic is stationary for an upcoming ped crossing, other lane is stationary cos it's busy.

Cyclist, comes at speed, at 90 degrees to traffic flow, between stopped cars in other lane and straight across "my" lane literally feet from my bumper just after we start moving.

At least checking back i "think" that is what he did - why don't i "know"?

He was dressed all in black and had no lights or reflectors of any form on his bike.

Had I not stopped sharpish, I would have taken him out

All groups of road users contain muppets.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Travelling home on Monday afternoon to see my Eldest in her Nativity... the roads are dry, the weather is fine (albeit a little windy) and the half day at work has put me in a nice mood (because it was only a half day :rolleyes:)....

Imagine my surprise, when approaching some traffic calming measures at which I have priority, to find that Mr WVM has no intention of giving way to me as he is too busy using his phone to concentrate.

Here.

I do so hate muppets that just bully their way through, regardless of who has priority (he'd probably have done the same to a car as he's in a lorry).

PS - If anyone can work out the full reg of the vehicle I'd be happy to alter the YouTube vid to include it. Just can't figure out the last three letters (have tried many combinations on askmid website but they all come back as unknown/uninsured, or as belonging to other cars).

You think that is bad try this for size

4166705402_6027f54eca.jpg

He was driving through a red light, on the phone, using the horn to tell the peds to get out of the way.

How many laws where broken?

Attachments

• 4166705402_6027f54eca.jpg
    4166705402_6027f54eca.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's almost never ending - now I appear to have his neighbour on berating me for my cycling, having no life (obvious, as I ride around with a camera strapped to my head) and telling me that they'd have run me over for what I did...

How do these imbeciles get jobs?

JiMBR

Sh4rkyBloke said:
:rolleyes:

How do these imbeciles get jobs?

I think they probably fill the 'special' quota at McDonalds and Burger King. :biggrin:

(no offense meant to anyone that may work at these establishments)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This is one of the reasons I stopped posting stuff up on youtube. When I do I've just blocked all comments. Not because I was afraid or upset by what people had to (and this is stretching the meaning) 'write', but just that youtube is a screaming twatfest and I found it all too depressing.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I tend to allow one stupid comment and then block the idiots. Censorship? Certainly, but I don't have the time or energy to go and argue them all down.

Top Bottom