ww 1 Battlefields in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldleggs

Über Member
I'am planning on visiting WW1 Battlefields in May of this year as part of a longer tour (Rhine/Danube) visiting Ypres/Somme areas and eventually Verdun.
Camping's my preferred accommodation with the occasional bnb, any info on these areas or recommendations of where to stay or points of interest would be appreciated. Obviously there're many places of interest but time dictates how much can be seen. Dover to Dunkirk is the ferry route and I'ave allowed 10 days in which to tour this part of France/Belgium.

Thanks
oldleggs.

robgul

Legendary Member
We're doing a Boys' Outing to the WW1 stuff around Ypres in June - have a look at http://guide-books.co.uk/ for some good guide books and maps.

Rob

Rob500

I've never cycled round the WW1 Battlefields but I've been on stacks of walking trips. I've walked the battlefields round Ieper (Ypres), Arras and the Somme.

Ypres - The immortal Salient. A quarter of all British Empire dead of WW1 died in defence of the Salient. This is a must place to visit. Ypres and surrounding areas are small so it's easy to get around, Ypres, Messines, Wytschaete, Passchendaele (Passendale) are all within easy reach. Also if time is limited make sure you do this - go to the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate at 8pm. That's a very moving experience. Haven't stayed myself but the B'nB Varlet Farm get great reviews.

Arras - This is another great place to stay with lots of WW1 cemeteries & Memorials within walking/biking reach. Places to visit: Wellington underground caves, the beautiful Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery, the magnificent Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge.

Somme - Probably best to stay around the Albert area. www.avrilwilliams.com Ocean Villas B'nB is run by Avril Williams in Auchonvillers. I've heard great reports about it. I think there is also a camping site in Authille. There are loads of places to visit on the Somme. Newfoundland Memorial Park, Ulster Tower, Thiepval Memorial to the missing, Lochnagar Crater at La Boiselle. Far too many tbh.

Have a great trip.
Lest We Forget.

The in-laws have a caravan at a site that has the Somme running by the side of it, at a place called Seracourt le Grand, just South of St Quentin. There are plenty of camping spaces there too and it's nicely central for a lot of the battle sites.

Some not so known over here points of interest would have ti include the Chemin des dames which runs perpendicular to the road between Laon and Reims - there's a whole complex of trenches on the top of the plateau and a visitor centre at the quarry that saw a lot of fighting - much of it underground. The CdD itself could be an excellent bike route - hilly but not too much so and some spectacular views.

We're over there for Easter and I shall be riding a bit of the Paris-Roubaix route (it goes through St Quentin early on) but I'll see if I can get a pass to ride the CDD too.

We did a tour of Flanders last summer. The In Flanders Fields museum at Iper is well worth a visit and I assume you'll want to visit the Menin gate, there's now a campsite near the centre of town which is handy for both.

robgul

Legendary Member
STOP PRESS : The trip I mentioned up-thread has a drop-out - if anyone's interested send me a PM - it's Sun 10 - Sat 16 June, crossing using the Eurotunnel cycle service, first night Calais - ride via St Omer to Bailleul - then 3 nights at Ypres/Iepr with day rides around the WW1 sites - ride to near Dunkerque on the Friday - ride to Calais and tunnel back. Accom in budget hotels and a B&B in Ypres. We're all mature-ish riders (young at heart, beer will be consumed!) from Warwicks/Worcs/W Mids.

Rob

Fietslogies

This guide for cycling along the WW1 frontier has just been published, in Dutch but with excellent maps: http://www.recreatief-fietsen.nl/frontlijnroute/
Willem

I've seen this guide to! Maps are really detailed. You won't need any other map between Nieuwpoort and Basel! And it does all the highlights.

frontlijncover.jpg

frontlijnback.jpg

Interesting - will check that out - anyone cycled it?

From Basel you can take the swiss cycle route 3 through the St Gotthard Pass alps to Italy, coming out near Chiasso I think.

OP
OP
O

oldleggs

Über Member
Thanks for all contributions and info much appreciated. Proposed start for this years tour is 13th May, with no set finish date so after browsing internet sites and reading up on WW1 battlefields of Northern France maybe 10 days isn't enough time! And a few extra days will be needed 2 weeks maybe, l am in no hurry so what the heck.

Thanks again
oldleggs.

hotmetal

Can't help with planning much because I did it on the Fazer with a bunch of (motor)biker mates. However, it is a trip that is well worthwhile not just for those interested in military history (me not particularly), but if you're interested at all in the sacrifices made for us by our forefathers (yes). We stayed in a B&B (Kasteelhof T'Hooghe) in Ypres near the Hooge Crater, a stone's throw from the very interesting museum and preserved trenches at Sanctuary Wood (Hill 62). The Hooge Crater is interesting because in 1915 there was a strong position held by the Germans which gave them a clear overview of our lines. The Royal Engineers dug a tunnel underneath their chateau position and detonated 1700kg of dynamite under it. They should have just called it 'huge crater'! Not really visible any more – just a museum.

Also went to Caterpillar Valley, Tyne Cot etc cemeteries. On the face of it many are very similar, but the endless uniform rows of well-tended graves – especially some of the inscriptions ("A soldier known only to God", "Pvt So-and-so, 15 yrs") are incredibly poignant and moving if you've a head for that kind of thing. Also visited Poperinge (shot at dawn firing post and condemned cells).

A very good trip to do – especially on a bicycle if you have the time. And after all the emotion and long days in the saddle, there's decent beer and chips with mayo. Just think of it as carbo loading! And of course the terrain is quite flat – unlike when I cycled the Loire Valley!!! Enjoy.

Top Bottom