Wyre forest stinger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Can't answer the first 2 questions, but question 3 is a definite NO :rain::thumbsup:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Looks like it has a few humps and bumps... Heres one i found...

577334_138408746291516_100003671749819_162768_1194857402_n.jpg

Hi Paul
I did the 100 mile last year and based on that have entered the shorter one this year ^_^ . The stinger section is fairly tough as the hills are all close together . They are mostly short steep ones but tend to be one after another . I think on the short ride they start at the 41 mile mark and there is 11 of them within about 20 miles . I managed them last year on a 39 x 27 . I was close to getting off on the last hill as my legs were cramping badly ,but somehow I managed it ( I had ridden the 100 mile though and the stinger section didn`t start till after probably 70 miles in ).
I`m sure you did the Motion in Mercia recently and the first 40 miles would be similar to that nothing too serious just a few climbs . I`m pretty sure you will be able to complete it and don`t worry if you have to walk up a few of the hills , there were quite a few walking up last year .There is a sign that tells you the stinger section is starting and each hill is named at the bottom , which is entertaining . There was also a sign informing you that the stinger section had finished and the ride home now was fairly flat .
It was well organised and the feedstations were good .
I will be on a blue ribble 7005 , so say Hi if you see me .
As for the rain , as Mr Grylls says " If it aint raining , it aint training " :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Hi Parafinlamps,

Thanks for the write up, bostin!

I did the Motion in Mercia, I was just getting over a cold so from 35 to 45 miles I had a slow, lonely ride. I just didnt have it in me to put a sourt on. I did perk up towards the end though. I think I just scraped in with a silver time.

I had been hoping to get some hill training in, maybe even doing the stinger before the event, but work and poor weather made it impossible.

I will keep an eye out for you, I will be on either a grey Secteur, or a red, black and white Roubaix.

There was also a sign informing you that the stinger section had finished and the ride home now was fairly flat. :thumbsup:

I think that will be a welcome sight!

Cheers, Paul.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

I went.

I rode.

I wussed out of the hard bit.

I was ok on the flat, but have only just got over the flu. Lack of recent training and still being sniffly is my excuse... And im sticking with it. Good event and i will hopefully be back with full strenght next year.

I did it . I think quite a few suffered on the stinger section Paul . I cramped up on a couple of the hills and had to get off and walk , yet last year I did the 100 and manged all the hills . Don`t think the wind helped ( thats my excuse and I`m sticking to it , nothing to do with all that chocolate I ate at easter ) either . Was in your face for quite a bit before the stinger section .
Have to say for £15 , its one of the best sportives I`ve done . Feedstations good and signage brilliant . Lots of early warning of hazards .
Nice cheese cob , crisps and tea at the end too.
Will be back next year with hopefully less choccy round my waist .
Link to my Strava upload of the ride .
http://app.strava.com/activities/8442941

Top Bottom