XC race events - has anyone done one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawn72

So maybe the adrenaline rush from tonight's spin class has made me a bit mad but I'm considering entering the last round of the sxc series in for far at the end of this month. I'm reasonably fit but not too sure if my riding skills are up to it. I found couple of YouTube videos of previous events there and it doesn't look overly technical. Any input would be much appreciated

My kids and I have done plenty of XC racing in the past but with Eastern Region Mud sweat and Gears where the turn out is big. At the sharp end people can be very serious towards the back of the pack its a lot more relaxed and friendly. I dont know where you expect to be but be aware of people shouting out on your left or on your right, this is the side they are going to overtake you on, not the direction they want you to go.
I originally raced CX ( should be no singletrack)where you can overtake everywhere on the course. I was suprised to find that in XC it was considered bad form to fight your way past people on the technical single track sections.

Overall I liked XC the best, my skills were near non existent but there is usually a chicken run ( a route to take you past and avoiding the very technical sections, but it should be slower). what I lacked in skill I made up for in fitness and would get dropped on the technical sections and tear past on the uphills.
If you are on the slower side be aware towards the end of the race the fast guys will start to lap you, It was always considered bad form not to get out of thier way. Note anyone on the same lap does not automatically have the right to ask you to move etc but plenty may try, not that you should try blocking them.
I dont know what the guys racing at SXC attitude is going to be as to overtaking some seemed to think you should call out when overtaking and got a strop on if you didnt, others would not call out as sometimes when you did the rider in front when the wrong way and also it gave them a warning that you were attempting to come past an may try to block. You will have to play it by ear.

Overall its real good fun and on your first race I suggest you just aim get round in one piece unless you are actually quite good at it and aim to go for a podium, you will only know once you start.
I always used to pick on a couple of guys who looked a similar size age and build to me and use them as targets as I was not going to catch the real racing snakes, there are always little private races going on.
Oh and if you have not bombed it through tight tree lined sections before look at the track, not the trees, the tree you look at will be the one you hit.
Anyway have fun!!!!

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

Thanks for your response. If your experience is anything to go by, then this will b perfect for me. There's a 2 hour coaching session for women the day before so I will book for that too - it's only an extra £5

I was suprised to find that in XC it was considered bad form to fight your way past people on the technical single track sections.
If you are on the slower side be aware towards the end of the race the fast guys will start to lap you, It was always considered bad form not to get out of thier way.
!
I've raced XC for years, and it's perfectly ok to pass riders anywhere you can, just don't knock 'em off the trail when you try. Always try to communicate your intentions to the rider you want to pass. Unless in a sprint section most riders will get out of the way (if safe to do so).
Also, watch out for folks lapping you as they will ask to pass you. But don't be forced to move out of the way if it's not safe and you can always let the rider behind know when they can pass.
If you can get a preride in before the race then I recommend it so you get an idea of how tricky some of the sections may be.
The start can always be interesting with a lot riders sprinting off line to be first to reach the single track. As your first race I'd stay back and not try to get into the sprint at the start. Plus a lot riders blow up after the first sprint and slow right down, making it easy to pass 'em.
Depending on how long the race will be, you might want to consider warming up before the race. Keeping pedaling your bike until you have to line up, so legs are good to go at the start.
Don't try anything new on race day. I don't know how long you've been riding, but don't try new shoes, tyres, pedals or a whole new bike on race day. Stick with what you know and what works for you.
Smile for the cameraman when you see him.

@marzjennings You are perfectly correct as to overtaking on single track, however the brits sometimes are overly polite, at the front end of the race no one batted a eyelid, towards the middle/back some people thought they were on a sunday bimble with thier mates and got very huffy, and thier definition of a close/dangerous overtake was different to mine. Got reported in my first race for overly aggressive overtaking, as I didnt actually touch him his protest did not stand up.

@dawn72 , the coaching is a good idea, my wife did some this year and it improved her confidence immensely. For ladies the first lap can be stressful depending on where the organisers have decided to start them. Mud Sweat and gears have tried, putting them with the men, ( complaints from women it was not fair ) put them starting a minute or so in front of the men ( complaints from the men loads of women to overtake)
They have also tried starting them behind the men ( vets and grand vets etc) then the fast women complained that they were held up by slow old men.
Any idea on SXC's format for the ladies?

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

So I've decided just to bite the bullet and booked both the coaching and the race. All I know about starting order is that the elites race separately in the afternoon and all the tasters will start off together. Getting stuck behind slow old men might work out just fine! I'm really looking forward to it now

So I've decided just to bite the bullet and booked both the coaching and the race. All I know about starting order is that the elites race separately in the afternoon and all the tasters will start off together. Getting stuck behind slow old men might work out just fine! I'm really looking forward to it now
Please let us all know how you get on.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

I will do. My plan is not to sorry about a time and just concentrate on survival!

@dawn72 Have you raced yet? if you did, how did it go?

OP
OP
dawn72

dawn72

I went to the coaching session on Saturday which I thoroughly enjoyed but there were a couple of features beyond my skill (and bottle) level so I decided not to race yesterday. It was still really worthwhile though and I tackled some bombholes and single track that I would never have taken on before. I've signed up for the wee race at the Hairy Coo event on the 11th which looks ideal for me.

Top Bottom