Xmas gift - return ferry ticket to Caen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I will have approx 3 days there and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of things to do? Bayeux and the Normandy beaches are on my list but any recommendations or suggestions from you experienced tourers greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That's a fantastic area for cycling, and three days won't be enough!
There is a traffic free cycle path (a PROPER one, with a billiard table surface unlike the poor relation UK equivalent) which runs from the ferry port at Ouistreham all the way into Caen. It runs alongside the river, passing Pegasus Bridge.
There is a nice ride from Caen out to Arromanches, and the beaches are all well connected by quiet roads/paths.

Google the "route du cidre" which I particularly liked. There are plenty of others. If I was at home I could look up the cycling route map of Calvados that I bought, but I'm on my wanderings just now. Try googling "Calvados a velo" or similar.

Edit... It's Le Calvados a bicyclette. There must be about 40 routes of varying lengths marked out on that map IIRC..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
That's a fantastic area for cycling, and three days won't be enough!
There is a traffic free cycle path (a PROPER one, with a billiard table surface unlike the poor relation UK equivalent) which runs from the ferry port at Ouistreham all the way into Caen. It runs alongside the river, passing Pegasus Bridge.
There is a nice ride from Caen out to Arromanches, and the beaches are all well connected by quiet roads/paths.

Google the "route du cidre" which I particularly liked. There are plenty of others. If I was at home I could look up the cycling route map of Calvados that I bought, but I'm on my wanderings just now. Try googling "Calvados a velo" or similar.

Edit... It's Le Calvados a bicyclette. There must be about 40 routes of varying lengths marked out on that map IIRC..

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Berties

Fast and careful!
port en bessen is worth a swing into,fresh fish market with some cracking harbour side eateries,also its where the allied supply pipe pluto came into during ww2,it is a quiet release from arromanches hustle and bustle,its great riding round here

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
On arrival, I'll probably have a pootle along the voie verte from the port to Caen. Followed by another pootle to Bayeux. Then from there to Viereville sur mer. Finally from Vierevelle back along the Normandy beaches to the ferry port. Of my 3 days, a fair chunk will be on the ferry so it's as much a relax than a cycling frenzy. Can't wait, though. Having said all that I may just follow my nose when I get there. Thanks.

Top Bottom