.xps files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Slide1-1.jpg

Slide7-1.jpg

first and last pages - now the quality here is even worse than the .pdf - the script is absolutely horrible, and the pics are blurry. In .ppsx they're pretty darn crisp.

The trick with these things is to realise that it's going to get a minute's worth of attention, and to leave them wanting more/

Carwash

Señor Member
woohoo said:
On that we agree but I also worked with some actuaries who used Excel for everything including memos, formal letters and organisation charts. (I'm sure power point is OK but I've been on the receiving end of too many bum-numbing .ppt presentations.)

Tell me about it - I work in an office where everyone uses Word for *everything*. If I ask someone to send me some images for a project, I can almost guarantee that they will arrive embedded in a Word doc. And if someone calls me to complain that they can't open a file, it will usually turn out what they really mean is that *Word* can't open .zip files or tiffs, or something, and they are consequently at a loss as to how to proceed. </rant>

Sorry, it's been a bad day.

"Proficient in AutocadLT, Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Publisher"

Surely you need to change that to "almost proficient in Powerpoint" :biggrin:

Can't help I'm afraid, but then got our new systems a couple of weeks ago with office 2007 and I had ask someone how to print a document out :laugh:

woohoo said:
No. Translation : 92% of the installed client operating systems do not include this basic functionality as standard.

PS Linux current around 1%

As Windows XP doesn't have XPS viewer as standard either... thats about 67% percent right there.

Back to the OP, there must be some quality settings in your PDF creation software somewhere (that will of course up the file size).... surely?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
2Loose said:
As Windows XP doesn't have XPS viewer as standard either... thats about 67% percent right there.
mine does. Did I just get lucky?

2Loose said:
Back to the OP, there must be some quality settings in your PDF creation software somewhere (that will of course up the file size).... surely?
taking it up to 600dpi still leaves the text looking like used toilet paper (see above), and loading it takes forever - the background graphics come in, the text comes in and then the pics come in.

woohoo

Veteran
2Loose said:
Mine doesn't have it<sulk> Note to self, get all the updates asap! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't rush to get them all. I only downloaded it from the M$ft optional updates because I do a fair amount of printing to file on my netbook. There are quite a few that I haven't installed such as .Net Framework 1.1, Media Player 11 etc that I'm happy to live without until there is a need. I back-up my system using image software and the smaller the system partition, the better.

bikepete

Guru
"Proficient in ... Publisher"

Does Publisher not have proper PDF output options? Should make life a lot easier. It is, after all, a page layout program and what you are doing is page layout.

Probably quicker to redo it in Publisher than to faff endlessly trying to get Powerpoint to behave.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Powerpoint and Publisher have the same .pdf output options - and Powerpoint has all kinds of other output options. The problem lies with Adobe.

I'm getting there - my agent can read the .xps file so she's happy. And I'm experimenting with fonts, because Trebuchet doesn't do well when converted to .pdf. Any thoughts on a particularly Adobe-friendly font?

bikepete

Guru
"Powerpoint and Publisher have the same .pdf output options - and Powerpoint has all kinds of other output options. The problem lies with Adobe."

Er... Microsoft, surely?

That'll be why nobody (AFAIK) in professional publishing ever uses Publisher then - PDF is now the standard workflow for print so if it can't do a decent PDF it's crippled.

Nowt wrong with PDF as such or Adobe software - the whole print/graphics industry uses them very succesfully - you just need decent software to create the PDFs - e.g. Indesign :-).

Don't understand the font thing either. PDFs should have fonts embedded so that they appear the same on any machine, and it should look pretty much the same in a PDF as it does on screen in any other way. Trebuchet is a TrueType font on my Windows system, which should be fine in a PDF.

Left field suggestion - decent free DTP software here:

http://www.scribus.net/

Good PDF export:

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=pdfexport1

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the trouble is that Powerpoint is very, very easy to use. And so people use it.

Anyway - Arial is looking much, much better than Trebuchet in the converted .pdf file. And the prospective employer can read the .xps. Hooray! Thanks one and all.

ASC1951

Guru
dellzeqq said:
The trick with these things is to realise that it's going to get a minute's worth of attention, and to leave them wanting more/
Is it normal in architecture for CVs to look like sales brochures? I only ask because if I had got one like that at my law firm I would have thought it was distinctly odd.

How about loading it up as a website at say, www.simonlegg.net? Then you could just sent people a Word summary with a link.

BTW, have you proofed it? It looks like "Marrjed - Susie" on p2, but that could be my poor eyesight.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ASC1951 said:
Is it normal in architecture for CVs to look like sales brochures? I only ask because if I had got one like that at my law firm I would have thought it was distinctly odd.
this isn't normal. CGI macros with walkthroughs are normal. Flash is normal. Happily I'm not competing with young people. Sountracks are normal. Sweetly edited voiceovers, rapid cutting, black and white interruptions, close-ups a la Mapplethorpe.........you lead a very sheltered life!

Top Bottom