Xshifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XShifter

Thanks to Glenn for posting this. The XShifter won't do away with standard derailleurs. What it does is use standard derailleurs and converts to wireless. It will work with literally any derailleur, cassette or chainring. No limitations. We use a small wireless servo to pull on a short length of cable. So yeah, it's still got a cable but its very short and doesn't effect anything. This is by far the most cost effective and versatile system available. We have many more enhancements planned. I hope you can check out our Kickstarter page and help the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A bit far fetched with their pricing though $279 ( £230 ish ) for 1 shifter + remote when you can get a full di2 ultegra upgrade for £600 if you shop around and thats for the whole kaboodle .Not 20 % of the price of current systems for sure .

XShifter

Not trying to be deceptive. It's marketing talk. Full eTap groupset is $2500, so we could say it's 10% of the cost. :smile:
It is in fact much less expensive than any other system. But it's not just about cost. It's about what the product can do. You can easily move this system from bike to bike if you want. If you smash your RD on a rock, you can get going again in a few minutes and very low cost. Many advantages over the other systems.

cyberknight

Not trying to be deceptive. It's marketing talk. Full eTap groupset is $2500, so we could say it's 10% of the cost. :smile:
It is in fact much less expensive than any other system. But it's not just about cost. It's about what the product can do. You can easily move this system from bike to bike if you want. If you smash your RD on a rock, you can get going again in a few minutes and very low cost. Many advantages over the other systems.
Send me one for free , only then can i give an unbiased opinion :whistle:

Sounds like a good idea on the whole. I just wonder if it's such a good idea that it'll be subsumed into one of the bigger brands as a retrofit exercise.

I guess my main question @XShifter is whether the electrical sensors could be linked to (say) 105 shifters to give the same changing experience as now but with electric changing?

cyberknight

Sounds like a good idea on the whole. I just wonder if it's such a good idea that it'll be subsumed into one of the bigger brands as a retrofit exercise.

I guess my main question @XShifter is whether the electrical sensors could be linked to (say) 105 shifters to give the same changing experience as now but with electric changing?
According to the website it currently has a satellite pad sitting under the hoods so im guessing the shift lever would be redundant ? Am i right in assuming you still have the unit on the back still pulling a cable to the rear derailleur ?

cyberknight

ComTutorial.png

XShifter

According to the website it currently has a satellite pad sitting under the hoods so im guessing the shift lever would be redundant ? Am i right in assuming you still have the unit on the back still pulling a cable to the rear derailleur ?
Yes that is correct. It uses a small servo to pull the cable on the derailleur. We are still working on the shape and ergonomics of the road remote. I'm not totally happy with it yet. The shift lever would be redundant, so you can remove it, ignore it, or use an an entirely different hood that you like better.

cyberknight

Yes that is correct. It uses a small servo to pull the cable on the derailleur. We are still working on the shape and ergonomics of the road remote. I'm not totally happy with it yet. The shift lever would be redundant, so you can remove it, ignore it, or use an an entirely different hood that you like better.
How easy is it to install the cable to the servo ? as it will need replacing at some point , my commuter needs recabling at least once a year if not twice and the problem area on the rear shifter tends to be the bit from the rear mech to where you servo would be .
Obviously im not after trade secrets etc , im just curious .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks like an interesting idea. Good luck with it.

I still harbour vague plans for installing e-tap maybe, because I like the idea of wireless shifting. I'm just not so keen on paying for it. It could mean an end to fugly great brifters. I like the way e-tap has optional little shifting buttons that you can put in various places (on tri bars, in the drops ...) I guess this would have similar.

XShifter

How easy is it to install the cable to the servo ? as it will need replacing at some point , my commuter needs recabling at least once a year if not twice and the problem area on the rear shifter tends to be the bit from the rear mech to where you servo would be .
Obviously im not after trade secrets etc , im just curious .
This was a very important point in the design. This needed to be very easy. Cable can be replaced even easier than with a mechanical shifter. There is a small port on the back side to push a new cable in. Just need to trim off the old frayed end before pulling through. XShifter will be packaged with a very high quality cable. It has the lowest failure rate of any I could find. It's much better than the "name brands".

Top Bottom