XT cassette worth 3 times price of Alivio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

My setup is 9 speed triple. I'm a recreational cyclist. I'm not bothered about speed, I might tour sometime.

The RD is XT-M772. Somebody has some NOS XT 11-34 cassettes for £65. Alivio 11-34 cassettes are available for £21.50. The hub is M525 (steel freehub). Will I get 3 times as much wear from the XT? Are there other advantages worth paying for?

Ajax Bay

Guru
No. None. The XT cassette is lighter (260g, and will likely wear faster).
How about this 11-32 for £15?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/9-speed-11x32-bike-cassette/_/R-p-13540?
£54: 11-34: https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-deore-xt-cs-m770-cassette-9-fold-M189717.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

Thanks folks. That's kind of what I thought.

I'll pass on the Decathalon one though, I'm used to the 34 big sprocket and want to keep that. In fact I'm pondering the 12-36 instead.

The XT seems to be chrome plated, whereas the Alivio is nickel plated, though the advantage may be marginal. And I daresay 3 Alivios rust in the same time one XT will.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks folks. That's kind of what I thought.

I'll pass on the Decathalon one though, I'm used to the 34 big sprocket and want to keep that. In fact I'm pondering the 12-36 instead.

The XT seems to be chrome plated, whereas the Alivio is nickel plated, though the advantage may be marginal. And I daresay 3 Alivios rust in the same time one XT will.
Sun Race offer an 11 to 40 9speed cassette. :becool:

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is the marginal advantage you suggest might exist? Shinier when new? Only cassettes of people who don't care, rust.

My setup is 9 speed triple. I'm a recreational cyclist. I'm not bothered about speed, I might tour sometime.

The RD is XT-M772. Somebody has some NOS XT 11-34 cassettes for £65. Alivio 11-34 cassettes are available for £21.50. The hub is M525 (steel freehub). Will I get 3 times as much wear from the XT? Are there other advantages worth paying for?
Had an XT on for 5 years, great kit and smooth shifting. Worth the extra imo.

Top Bottom