xt front sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

remyroo

Regular
can anyone suggest an after market big front sprocket for shimano xt mountain bike set up. as my son has just got a second hand bike and realy doesnt need the high end gear.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Without knowing the model and having done exactly the same before, it would be a brave soul who comes along and tell you which. I am saying this because I know from experience that in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: Shimano ensured not all rings are compatible across the M760, M770 and M970 chainsets, without introducing shims and/or surgery that is.

Alternatively, given even the cheapest 104pcd large ring costs close to £20 incl p&p from crc or sjs, if you want cheap why not just get a whole new chainset for not much more? Even including the cost of a new BB it would still likely cost less than what you would receive by flogging the XT, worn out or otherwise, whole or in bits.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If however you want to run one front chainring, or run it as a double and bash, then my personal recommendation would be a 34T or 36T Deore, depending on his legs. You can get fancy Middleburn or Blackspire aftermarket middle rings, and if you don't mind paying for that quality, then they would be the way to go. There are various types, depending on whether you want ramped and pinned for a double setup, or plain for a single front chainring. If you're going for single, bear in mind the extra cost of a chain retention device.

XT is 104 BCD 4-bolt, so check that that all fits before you buy. If you're simply losing the big ring then you could stick with the 32 that's already on it and simply add a bashguard in place of the 44t.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
I'm thinking that by "doesn't need the high end gear" the OP is referring to SLX, XT, XTR rather than getting rid of the big ring.

Shimano Deore will suit just fine and not hurt the wallet. Your LBS will be able to advise.

Top Bottom