Yaaaah I'm finally going back to work tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Well after nearly 18 weeks of going stir crazy at home twiddling my thumbs work has finally contacted me today to start work again tomorrow..
This has been the most surreal experience I've ever encountered in all my years of working life.. Since I've left school I've never had any time off before apart from the usual holidays, so these 18 weeks have been tough going especially as i live by myself.
Admittedly I'm not to happy that im being stuck in a different department but i am grateful I've managed to retain my job, as so many others have lost theirs.
I'm also feeling really nervous about going back, as to like I'm starting a new job.. These last few weeks I've really noticed my standards in life slipping. Late nights have taken hold and sleeping in late have become the norm, and have found it hard keep motivated. I'm so glad and grateful to of heard this news this morning and even though i feel a little apprehensive and unhappy that I'm not going straight back to my original job its been the best news I've had in weeks.
Ironically I've still got three weeks of holidays due to me and must be taken by the end of September. I'm seriously considering telling the company to just scrap them in all honesty because I've (lets be honest) had the longest paid holiday ever in living memory, and would feel it cheeky and insulting to even ask for them

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Burn him at the stake! He used the "W" word!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not been much fun for those working from home either - at least you've been able to do stuff - I enjoyed the 2 weeks off on leave I took during the first month of lock down.

As for using leave up, why don't you take Friday's off - will both ease you in and use the weeks up. Don't feel guilty, the company has been paid by the Government.

I'm looking forward to going back, even if it's for the odd day. I can't see that happening yet until January, as they want the space for teaching staff and students, not us 'back room lot'.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It's been music to my ears when i got the phone call this morning..
The last few weeks have been really worrying as to whether i was actually going to have a job to go back to. Seeing people around me going back whilst i was not, was not a great feeling. I was starting to feel really useless, and oddly guilty about being paid to do nothing.
It must be truly awful for all the thousands of hard working people out there at the moment who have lost their jobs..
Apart from the obvious financial impact, the mental toll it can have is just as serious

Dave7

Legendary Member
Whereas I have learned that I would hate it!
Hate what??
Being 30 years younger or being retired?

Drago

Legendary Member
The worst thing about the lockdown-that-wasn't was having all the workies not at work, cluttering the place up so us retirees couldn't enjoy it. Was,like one long constant Sunday.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm retiring on Friday after working for the same company for almost 32 years. I don't think it will be too tough because I haven't set foot in the office since March and going from an exciting, rewarding life in export travel to email sales clerk has been dismal.

For the first time in my life I've had to buy a phone, a laptop and a car. I bought my old company car because I like it so much. We've been living in a depressing gloomy cottage in Scotland for the last month and will be moving somewhere nicer on 16 August.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've had quite a few folk retire in one of my Faculties - who wound't blame them as the working environment will be crap for a long time - who needs the stress if you can retire. Good luck to them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Going back in june after 11 weeks on furlough made me reevaluate it, if i was younger i would leave as i hate the place , the over 55s are being offered a good early retirement package and many are jumping at it but im a few years short .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm retiring on Friday after working for the same company for almost 32 years. I don't think it will be too tough because I haven't set foot in the office since March and going from an exciting, rewarding life in export travel to email sales clerk has been dismal.

For the first time in my life I've had to buy a phone, a laptop and a car. I bought my old company car because I like it so much. We've been living in a depressing gloomy cottage in Scotland for the last month and will be moving somewhere nicer on 16 August.
I hope that you enjoy many healthy and happy years of retirement in your new home in Scotland!

Top Bottom