Yaaaah I'm finally going back to work tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
Working from home probably until next July and even then there will only be rare appearances at the office. I'm fully expecting to spend more time at suppliers' than my own office.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I'm retiring on Friday after working for the same company for almost 32 years.

Brilliant! Congratulations :-) Hope you have (at least) an equivalent amount of years in a healthy and happy retirement!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just got back home from my first day at work and all i can say is that how strange and different it was.
All our roles have changed due to the huge redundancies that took place . My original job there was a desk job, but today i found myself on the production line.
I didn't moan or complain, and just got on with the job in hand, knowing and feeling lucky to actually have a job.
Some staff though were up in arms about there change of job roles which i personally think is dire. The work place is slowly trying to find its feet again after the lock down and a bit of flexibility is needed by us all at this point of time to get things moving again..
It's the first time I've ever been inside the factory since i started working there 15 odd years ago so it was a very alien place to be.
The plan is I'm going to have to stick it out on the production line for the next 3 weeks before assuming my old job again (well that's the plan anyway)
Others though were trying to make demands as to were they wanted to work which didn't go down to well.
The company has really thought it all well through, with social distancing, one way pedestrian traffic and staggered clocking in times. I can't really see what they could do any better to be honest in keeping us safe..
So overall it's good to be back but it's a very different place from pre lock down days.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As I wrote earlier my once exciting job of 32 years of travelling round Africa and the Middle East in business class and staying in luxury hotels has fizzled out and become the job of an email sales clerk so it's definitely time to retire. I'm beginning to feel unexpectedly emotional about it and I'm not looking forward to going to the office to say goodbye on Friday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm beginning to feel unexpectedly emotional about it and I'm not looking forward to going to the office to say goodbye on Friday.
I hope that it goes well. If there is anybody there that you don't feel enamoured with, resist the temptation to tell them what you think of them!

Don't let them ply you with drink! When I quit my factory job to go to university, my workmates got me very drunk at the pub on the final Friday lunchtime and I had an industrial accident that afternoon that could easily have killed me (I toppled a tall pile of hard, heavy, sharp-cornered floor panels onto my unprotected head). :wacko:

I am sure that you will get a much better send off than I did at another company. Someone organised a collection for me and I was handed a small unwrapped cardboard box. I opened it, anxious to discover what was inside. Oh great... a pile of loose change! I'm talking 1ps, 2ps, a few 5ps and a few higher value coins adding up to about £10, but nobody had even bothered to replace the coins with a £10 note! I felt totally p*ssed off with the whole lot of them. I'd rather that they hadn't bothered having a collection. :sad:

When collection boxes went round the office way back then (1990s) I used to put a £1 coin in if I didn't know the person, or a £5 note if I did. I worked in a small team of 7 or 8 people, with another 40 in the same office, and another 100-odd elsewhere in the building. It would only have taken 3 of my team to cough up a fiver and that by itself would have been £15, 50% more than what I actually got. Bitter... moi? :whistle:

Top Bottom