Yacht sailors here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Sailing is my other sport/hobby, not that I do much currently since I've been back in London. :sad:

It's not really a very similar, compatible or comparable activity in any way, hence I was wondering if there are any other yacht skippers out there on the forum?

Watching Sports Personality of the Year made me think of this actually - all those successful GB cyclists and sailors!

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I used to race Lasers, Kestrels and Hobie Cats but I haven't sailed anything for fifteen years or so. A friend of mine has a 30 foot cruiser though so I'm hoping to get a crewing turn on that sometime soon.

Dinghy sailor. Haven't this year due to the boat (Phantom) dying. Old wooden hull ebay buy, only bought it to try the class out for 1 season and got 2.5 out of it.
Got an MX-Ray sat on the patio though...

cchapman

Yes, I have a classic ocean racer, 36' Sparkman and Stevens built in 1968. I've done a number of ocean races with it. Yacht racing is one sport you can do with a fag in one hand and a can in the other. Being skipper of a boat like this offers plenty of opportunity for introspection, like the first night out on the Melbourne Hobart race - I'm cold and wet, I feel sick, there's water slopping round the bilges, I really don't enjoy this - why pretend - and the next morning the sky lightens as it always does, somebody makes some coffee, the radio skeds start and you discover you're right in the middle of the fleet although you can't see another boat on the horizon.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Yep, am completley mad about sailing, don't seem to get the time now tho with three kid's so am selling my small yacht, also another reason to sell it's not big enough.
Hope to get a dinghy though for holidays and to teach them how to sail.

asterix

Comrade Member
Haven't sailed recently but learnt when I was 8 and owned a few boats up to 6 tons size. Also was racing crew on a couple of Thames Barges for a few seasons. Best result was 3rd on the River Orwell.

Sailing areas: Solent to Moray Firth, West Coast of Scotland, including trip to St. Kilda. Also did some delivery trips in the Mediterranean round Turkey.

Top Bottom