Yay, Doh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
The replacement rear wheel for the fixie arrived today and I can't wait to fit it; doh I need rim tape I'd completely forgotten about that :blush:
I bought some rim tape when I recently bought some new wheels only to find they already had rim tape on them:blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

The replacement rear wheel for the fixie arrived today and I can't wait to fit it; doh I need rim tape I'd completely forgotten about that :blush:

I've used electrical tape as a stop gap before now. One suggestion before you fit it, check that the rim has been debured, check that there's no sharp edges on the spoke holes, I've been caught out a couple of times recently with new wheels, and ended up with a couple of rim side punctures then had to strip it all out to debur it.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've used electrical tape as a stop gap before now. One suggestion before you fit it, check that the rim has been debured, check that there's no sharp edges on the spoke holes, I've been caught out a couple of times recently with new wheels, and ended up with a couple of rim side punctures then had to strip it all out to debur it.
I think Ive been caught out that way too. Fitted the wheel last night, had fitted the tape on Monday night (before I read your post) and it'll have to come back off; woke up to a flat this morning changed tube, cycled 4.2miles to work and it was still good got out to another flat (it looked like the tyre was blown off the rim :ohmy:). I was going to investigate tonight but I went for a ride on the kinesis instead ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

I think Ive been caught out that way too. Fitted the wheel last night, had fitted the tape on Monday night (before I read your post) and it'll have to come back off; woke up to a flat this morning changed tube, cycled 4.2miles to work and it was still good got out to another flat (it looked like the tyre was blown off the rim :ohmy:). I was going to investigate tonight but I went for a ride on the kinesis instead ;)

Are the flats rimside or roadside? If rimside the rim needs deburing, check round the spoke holes for sharp edges, I used sandpaper to rub it down smooth.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Are the flats rimside or roadside? If rimside the rim needs deburing, check round the spoke holes for sharp edges, I used sandpaper to rub it down smooth.
Just had the tyre off; the two consecutive flats were in different places. The first appears to be a sidewall pture but the 2nd was rim side and it looks like it blew the tube. Went over the holes just in case but I didnt find a specific problem :wacko:

D

Deleted member 1258

Just had the tyre off; the two consecutive flats were in different places. The first appears to be a sidewall pture but the 2nd was rim side and it looks like it blew the tube. Went over the holes just in case but I didnt find a specific problem :wacko:

Perhaps try a different rimtape? If you get any more rimside flats perhaps just go round the the whole rim with either sandpaper or emery cloth and gently sand round all the spoke holes.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Perhaps try a different rimtape? If you get any more rimside flats perhaps just go round the the whole rim with either sandpaper or emery cloth and gently sand round all the spoke holes.
I bought conti rim tape, it might be worth trying a different brand if problems persist. It pumped up well enough and is staying good so far but I'm made tea and toast to let it settle for a bit. Might start carrying a small adjustable spanner with me!

Top Bottom