Yay Friday is new bike day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
20180820_204505.jpg

I will be taking delivery of my first full sus on Friday, i actually can't wait.

I've always had SPDs on my CX and Hardtail do i stick with them or go to flats?

Gary E

Veteran
That gearing looks like it could be used to climb a ladder! :eek:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Any new bike day is a good day!!
Personally, I use flats on my full sis, and clip in on Road & CX,but it’s up to you to find what suits you best.

Enjoy the day and the bike ^_^

BromptonChrispy

I’m not a very experienced MTBer but been round a couple of trails on my full sus, Llandegla in North Wales and Winlatter in the Lake District. I started with SPDs because I’m very used to clipping in on my road bikes. I had no trouble at all and enjoyed fast climbs because of pulling up on the pedal. It also helped my ability to “lift” the bike when jumping minor obstacles. On occasion though I did find myself unclipping out of sheer uncertainty. I’ve more recently used wide and fairly inexpensive flats with protruding “spikes”. I think they’ll be better with sticky soles (5-10?) though and it’s a wholly different riding experience from SPDs and I can’t cheat - I’ll have to learn to bunny hop properly! Beware those pedal spikes though, I got a nasty cut down my lower calf when I slipped off the pedal - and that was just on a cycle path! Good luck with your choice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and enjoyed fast climbs because of pulling up on the pedal.

Studies have shown the amount of extra power gained by 'pulling up' is between miniscule and none.

The pedals are linked, so your down stroke pushes your other foot up a lot more than you could ever lift it.

Roadies - these days - use clipless due to the fashion for high cadence, if not, their feet would fly off the pedals.

I can imagine being clipped in helps you throw a mountain bike around.

Of course, there is a reason for using clipless which trumps all others - because the rider likes them.

Jody

Stubborn git
Nice looking bike. I've almost always stayed with SPD's regardless of where I ride but will switch to flats every now and then. Both have their advantages and dis-advantages so stick with whatever suits you. If the going gets really knarly you might want flats so you can bail easier.

BromptonChrispy

Studies have shown the amount of extra power gained by 'pulling up' is between miniscule and none.

The pedals are linked, so your down stroke pushes your other foot up a lot more than you could ever lift it.

Roadies - these days - use clipless due to the fashion for high cadence, if not, their feet would fly off the pedals.

I can imagine being clipped in helps you throw a mountain bike around.

Of course, there is a reason for using clipless which trumps all others - because the rider likes them.

I agree and that’s after over twenty five years of “ankling” too, imagining I’m Fausto Coppi, “Il Campionissimo”, dancing up them thar hills (pathetic effort I’m afraid)
All this ankling, pulling etc seems to be the subject of good hard scientific analysis and has few if any benefits. Look at what the research of the last few years has shown about skinny tyres at very high pressures on normal road surfaces.

Ciar

Veteran
Always flats for me on the MTB, much prefer it for those occasions i need to dab a foot :smile:

is that the SRAM model if so, my mate has just bought the same bike and loves it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Spds if your used to them.
Nice bike enjoy,it will feel odd at first, soft and squidgy.

Take time to set it up ,sag and damping bars seat height ect.
Then rag the thing silly:becool: and your in the Peaks !! Nice testing ground

Top Bottom