Yay! New camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Good luck with a compatible with nothing camera. I have used all major mirrorless systems and what I learned was that with a sensor like that, you do need good glass. That is the main reason why I bought the Nikon 1 myself, good RAW support combined with Nikon FX format lenses. The results are quite incomparable.

not sure if i need this sort of advice really! there didnt seem to be substantially more lenses for the nikon 1 than for the nex, but in any case some things that put me off the nikon 1 were:

the price
the sensor size
the lack of any grip
the insubstantial flash
the movie mode gimmicks that were of no interst to me

happy that you got the results you wanted out of it, but i didnt.

i find it amusing that in one reply you recommended a canon that in the previous reply you had stated had a bad autofocus system. so im not really that confident in your judgements. sorry

stu

hoopdriver

Guru
The diameter?
What ARE you on about?

Hotblack Desiato

I've shot the NEX and found it very restricting. Like the Sony Alpha DSLR, they should keep making tellies or something. Well established systems will always let you upgrade your gear as you develop as a photographer.

This thread is useless without one or two of your pictures. I look forward to it.

G'waan, be a sport!

hoopdriver

Guru
FX and DX system are fully compatible with Nikon 1, that is pretty much every lens you'll ever need. If one would really care about the sensor size he'd have a Leica M9. Grip and flash, well there is a point to that.

And BTW what comes to EOS M, it might have bad AF but it's still a pretty good camera. I considered buying one so I wouldn't have to drag my EOS 1Ds with me.
Grip, flash, assortment of lenses - I think you're overlooking the fact that this guy wants to carry his stuff while cycling. I have a lot of gear myself, but i am quite happy to stick with a good compact, in my case the Canon G1X when I am on my bike and shooting for my blog

hoopdriver

Guru
If you for example shoot a Mamiya Sekor with... let's say a Nikon D4 FX format camera, you are using only the center parts of the lens. Small imperfections on edges of the glass are unavoidable and a bigger lens diameter means it's going to stand out less. It's all about scale. Smaller lenses are usually not quite bright or have quite strong chromatic aberration, distortion etc.
I remain unconvinced that you know what you are talking about

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

nice although they dont seem to be any better than ive got with my nex5n!

pplpilot

Guru
G1X is a great little camera. It's aimed at professionals looking for a pocketable camera, stunning sensor compared to other cameras that size, great RAW support and good optics. A couple of primes (24mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8) aren't too big to carry with. Grip and flash... not necessary. (Decent noise performance and bright optics like the G1X's however are if not necessary, at least desirable.)

Im sorry but you talk an incredible amount of bollocks. Cyclist33 has chosen a fine camera and doesn't need you pissing on his chips. Seems to me you worry more about gear than actually getting out there and producing photographs. Stop worrying about numbers and stuff that doesn't matter to the average joe and realise its the person behind the shutter button that matters. I have my fair share of gear and like to look at the numbers but id never ram it down the throat of someone thats just dumped a wedge of their hard earned on the counter.

Top Bottom