Yay!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Not the most classy solution but QR seat post collars can be clamped to the seat post and will prevent it sliding down but can be slid up the post when folding. Weird that every other bike I've encountered requires a greased post not to slip but Bromptons are the other way. You definitely need to clean any oil or grease from the post, the sleeve and the inside of the seat post tube before resorting to that tactic.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

How's it going @Melvil ?

Hey FF. Going well - I haven't had the chance to de-grease my tube and avoid slippage (hmm that sounds quite dodgy) but have ridden my B a fair bit anyway. Broke 30mph with her last night and it really wasn't that wobbly at all, so surprising. Can't believe the acceleration from a standing start, very nippy - as I've gone for the smaller chainring I spin out at pretty slow speeds but that is just fine and dandy for me. A lovely shop (Biketrax) has GP2s in stock so will swap my grips in the next few weeks. All in all, a very happy punter!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Not the most classy solution but QR seat post collars can be clamped to the seat post and will prevent it sliding down but can be slid up the post when folding. Weird that every other bike I've encountered requires a greased post not to slip but Bromptons are the other way. You definitely need to clean any oil or grease from the post, the sleeve and the inside of the seat post tube before resorting to that tactic.

Fair play!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hey FF. Going well - I haven't had the chance to de-grease my tube and avoid slippage (hmm that sounds quite dodgy) but have ridden my B a fair bit anyway. Broke 30mph with her last night and it really wasn't that wobbly at all, so surprising. Can't believe the acceleration from a standing start, very nippy - as I've gone for the smaller chainring I spin out at pretty slow speeds but that is just fine and dandy for me. A lovely shop (Biketrax) has GP2s in stock so will swap my grips in the next few weeks. All in all, a very happy punter!
Good stuff! They're very addictive. I also have the lowered gearing but find most of the time it's OK. Enjoy!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Carbon assembly paste is a good solution for a slipping seat post, it grips and lubes at the same time.

Possibly not such a bright idea for a Brompton because moving the saddle up and down for the fold will inevitably lead to a smear of paste depositing itself on the length of the seat post.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Melvil, the main cause for slippage is an oily surface: degrease the seat post. If that fails, degrease the sleeve (remove the post after taking the saddle off). The clamp bolt can also be tightened a bit but take care as over tightening could distort the seat post. Do that just one flat, or less, at a time. You should not have to force the lever to close it.
Nonsense, the main reason for seat post slippage on a new bike is a slack QR. Either nip it up or if that worries you, let the supplier sort it.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
4 weeks to go until i get mine :hyper:

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Also my new hat blew off my head when cycling in Bruntsfield (Edinburgh) this lunchtine. Busy road behind me so I had to wait before turning back but when I did I spied a guy going across the road to pick it up. He ran towards me and gave me my hat saying 'fellow Brompton rider' before shooting off. Very nice guy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Also my new hat blew off my head when cycling in Bruntsfield (Edinburgh) this lunchtine. Busy road behind me so I had to wait before turning back but when I did I spied a guy going across the road to pick it up. He ran towards me and gave me my hat saying 'fellow Brompton rider' before shooting off. Very nice guy.
That happened to me in that London and some daffodil in a Jag took a deliberate course to run over my best cycling trilby .... Bars tard ....

Kell

Veteran
Nice looking machine.

WRT your slipping seatpost, it didn't matter how much I tightened mine when it was new, it kept slipping down.

I resorted to a light sandpapering of the bottom of the seat tube to give it a rough surface and therefore, something to grip.

I know it's hard to start attacking your pride and joy immediately after you've bought it, but this worked for me.

Top Bottom