Yeesssss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Just waiting for the shop to confirm tomorrow that their supplier has it in stock, but by wednesday, I will be the excited owner of a giant SCR 3 2008. First road bike ever..cant wait to get out on the road with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done - get the photo's in the gallery when you get it....

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

BTW, how different are the carbon composite forks compared to just carbon?

Mortiroloboy

Roadiewill, Good choice, I have a basic SCR4 which is my winter bike, it only came with CroMo forks, but I'm not worried about that, I wanted something strong and reliable with mudguard clearance, to keep me on the road during the winter, though I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm this morning for the club run, peeing with rain and blowing a gale here.:smile: so just did an hour on my rollers.

Not sure regarding the carbon composite question, but cannot imagine that it will have ANY significant impact on how the bike rides or handles.

Personally,with the CroMo fork, apart from a slight increase in weight ( which is a good thing in a winter trainer IME) I don't find it makes much difference.

I do notice the difference though when I get onto my best bike, and all that effort put in hauling a heavier bike uphill pays dividends!

I find my SCR4 pretty comfy, I was surprised at just how comfy in fact, the saddle, which is only a GIANT branded model is actually quite pleasant to sit on, and didn't require any bedding in at all.

You have made a pretty good choice, in time though you may consider swapping the rather sluggish Alex DA22's off, in favour of something a bit more whizzy like a mavic, which is what I did, I put some Aksium race wheels on, and noticed an immediate difference.

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

OK thanks. I think the SCR 3 comes with a selle royal saddle. Yeah I will be changing the tyres to 23's probably, but only after Ive got used to the feel of the bike.

Mortiroloboy

Actually the IE kenda Kontenders 26c are OK. some posters on here slate them, but I find them perfectly adequate, I would keep them on the bike , run them 'til they need replacing, then have a look around for some 23c if that is what you prefer, you will however detect a slightly harsher ride on 23's depending of course on terrain and how much air you put into them.
Dunno about the saddle, mine was just branded as GIANT, but entirely possible it is made by Selle, it's comfy though, which is ALL that matters!

Mortiroloboy

Welcome to the fantastic world of road cycling, have you, or are you considering joining a local club? In doing so you will get much more enjoyment out of your riding, plus building a network of likeminded friends, who will be more than happy to offer advice on all aspects of cycling.

Top Bottom