Yellow Box Junction Fines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Interesting point that the AA make about Yellow Box Junctions when they are next to a pedestrian crossing,

No-one wants to get caught in one, so if they enforce fines, and there is a pedestrian that is crossing the road, forcing you to stop, then you could get fined.... which is madness as the fine would potentially encourage a driver to NOT STOP!!!!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-63644155

Interesting point that the AA make about Yellow Box Junctions when they are next to a pedestrian crossing,

No-one wants to get caught in one, so if they enforce fines, and there is a pedestrian that is crossing the road, forcing you to stop, then you could get fined.... which is madness as the fine would potentially encourage a driver to NOT STOP!!!!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-63644155

But what is the right approach
Based on the changes to the Highway Code a motorist should stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross when the car is turning into a road
but in these cases the driver will be stopping in the box.
Clearly the driver should notice this and stop before going into thebox - but as that may be some distance from the pedestrian I can see confusion reigning if you did
And if the driver stops in the box - maybe because the pedestrian only just reached the kerb - then should the driver still stop of obey the rules that says not to stop in the box

Seems a bit unclear

D

Deleted member 26715

TBH I didn't know you couldn't be fined for stopping in the yellow box.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It seems like a lack of communication between two different departments. Perhaps the pedestrian crossing should be further away from the yellow box. How often do you see a pedestrian crossing right next to an urban roundabout? It's like setting up a conflict situation at the planning stage, and it's obvious who will come off worst with any impatient driver/pedestrian interaction.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But what is the right approach
Based on the changes to the Highway Code a motorist should stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross when the car is turning into a road
but in these cases the driver will be stopping in the box.
Clearly the driver should notice this and stop before going into thebox - but as that may be some distance from the pedestrian I can see confusion reigning if you did
And if the driver stops in the box - maybe because the pedestrian only just reached the kerb - then should the driver still stop of obey the rules that says not to stop in the box

Seems a bit unclear
I don't see any confusion or unclarity about this situation: don't enter the yellow box if your exit is not clear.

I'd expect any fines to be backed up with photos from the point you entered the box and if the way was clear then, the photo should show it (or rather, not show them) and the fine should be successfully contested because no offence was committed. The offence is to "cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles", not stopping in the box due to a moving pedestrian with priority, so the driver giving way to the walker is always in the clear. Only drivers following them into the box after they've stopped commits the offence.

In other words, the AA are talking out of their hat and scaremongering. A group of self-styled experts really should bother to check the current law.

Last edited:
Top Bottom