Yes, another newbie looking for some bike buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbeekie

Hi

I'm keen to start cycling. Will be mainly around the country park - tarmac, hardcore and ash paths and towpaths.. While I'd love to cycle to work, I don't have the bottle!

I'm looking to get good value for money and have seen the following ladies bikes on sale locally, all second hand but barely used:

Pinnacle Lithium Three lime £250 - (I like the idea of disc brakes)
Scott Tiki £125
Specialized Hardrock Sport £50
Merida Crossway 10v £200

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
The Pinnacle but go try them out as you should for sizes

You don't need suspension for your uses, or tbh disc brakes if not riding in all weathers

Hiya,

IMO the only real way to determine is to go and test them and I agree with Vickster about the suspension if you are going round Strathclyde Country Park. Your doing the right thing though looking at the 2nd hand market, you'll get a better spec bike for your money :smile:

btw AFAIK it's still not here yet but NLC/ Sustrans negotiated a cycle path as part of the A8 to M8 upgrade it may be of use to you in your desire to cycle to work. Good Luck :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Hardrock and the Tiki are basic mountain bikes with front suspension. You'll find them a bit heavy and slow on the road. For what you're going to be using it for I'd say the Pinnacle would be a good bet, no extra weight from front suspension which you don't need and narrower yet comfortable tyres. You say its used but I don't think it was much more than that new so try to push the price down a bit. Although you dont need the disc brakes they might give a bit of extra confidence. The most important thing is getting the correct size. Without getting too personal what is your inside leg measurement? When sitting on the saddle your leg should be straight with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position. The seat post shouldn't be too far out of the frame.

Post again if you need more help.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Can I suggest the Carrera Subway One? :smile: Mrs ND has one and it's a cracking bike for the money.

Halfords currently have them on promotion at £250 new*, but if you can find a second hand one you might get a real bargain.

* - if you decide to buy new, British Cycling members get 10% off virtually everything at Halfords

OP
OP
R

rbeekie

Hiya,

IMO the only real way to determine is to go and test them and I agree with Vickster about the suspension if you are going round Strathclyde Country Park. Your doing the right thing though looking at the 2nd hand market, you'll get a better spec bike for your money :smile:

btw AFAIK it's still not here yet but NLC/ Sustrans negotiated a cycle path as part of the A8 to M8 upgrade it may be of use to you in your desire to cycle to work. Good Luck :smile:

Didn't know about the cycle route, that sounds promising. Would be Drumpellier Park and possibly quieter roads beyond Gartcosh.

OP
OP
R

rbeekie

The Hardrock and the Tiki are basic mountain bikes with front suspension. You'll find them a bit heavy and slow on the road. For what you're going to be using it for I'd say the Pinnacle would be a good bet, no extra weight from front suspension which you don't need and narrower yet comfortable tyres. You say its used but I don't think it was much more than that new so try to push the price down a bit. Although you dont need the disc brakes they might give a bit of extra confidence. The most important thing is getting the correct size. Without getting too personal what is your inside leg measurement? When sitting on the saddle your leg should be straight with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position. The seat post shouldn't be too far out of the frame.

Post again if you need more help.

Thanks for the info. The Pinnacle seller says it cost £475 last year and has the receipt, maybe they should have got advice from here, lol. It had the derailleur hanger changed this year - got info on that on here, so checked with them.

There's also a Carrera Crossfire 3 for £150.

Inside leg is 31". I've always thought the seat height was where you could comfortably touch ground with toe when seated with bike straight, probably been getting it wrong all this time!

Really appreciate the guidance.

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to consider reach to the bars as much, if not more, the reach to the ground

The seat can be moved much more up and down, than it can be back and forth. If the frame, i.e. Crossbar is too big, it always will be

Could always go to Evans and sit on the equivalent pinnacle, even have a test ride (v easy with Evans)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe its a different model Lithium. This is the 2015 l saw https://www.evanscycles.com/en-gh/pinnacle-lithium-three-2015-hybrid-bike-EV207269

I would think you'd need a med or large as you're quite tall. Do you know the size of the bike? You should be able to comfortably straddle the crossbar with both feet flat on the ground.

Always go for the best bike you can, the Pinnacle is way superior to the Crossfire.

Here is Evans sizing advice:

What’s the right size for me?
This handy chart should show you the right size of hybrid bike you need based on your height. Measure your height accurately and check the manufacturer’s measurements too. You can also visit us in store to speak to an experienced member of staff. Always make sure you’re able to stand over the frame with a minimum 2cm gap between you and the top tube.

Rider Height: 4'10 - 5'2" / 148cm - 158cm

Frame Size (inches): 13" - 14"
Frame Size: X-Small

Rider Height: 5'2 - 5'6" / 158cm - 168cm

Frame Size (inches): 15" - 16"
Frame Size: Small

Rider Height: 5'6 - 5'10" / 168cm - 178cm

Frame Size (inches): 17" - 18"
Frame Size: Medium

Rider Height: 5'10 - 6'1" / 178cm - 185cm

Frame Size (inches): 19" - 20"
Frame Size: Large

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rbeekie

You need to consider reach to the bars as much, if not more, the reach to the ground

The seat can be moved much more up and down, than it can be back and forth. If the frame, i.e. Crossbar is too big, it always will be

Could always go to Evans and sit on the equivalent pinnacle, even have a test ride (v easy with Evans)

Thanks, that is sound advice, will need to visit Evans. They have the latest model on clearance at £380, which I couldn't stretch to with Santa lists to fulfil, but hopefully can test it out.

OP
OP
R

rbeekie

Maybe its a different model Lithium. This is the 2015 l saw https://www.evanscycles.com/en-gh/pinnacle-lithium-three-2015-hybrid-bike-EV207269

I would think you'd need a med or large as you're quite tall. Do you know the size of the bike? You should be able to comfortably straddle the crossbar with both feet flat on the ground.

Always go for the best bike you can, the Pinnacle is way superior to the Crossfire.

Here is Evans sizing advice:

What’s the right size for me?
This handy chart should show you the right size of hybrid bike you need based on your height. Measure your height accurately and check the manufacturer’s measurements too. You can also visit us in store to speak to an experienced member of staff. Always make sure you’re able to stand over the frame with a minimum 2cm gap between you and the top tube.

Rider Height: 4'10 - 5'2" / 148cm - 158cm

Frame Size (inches): 13" - 14"
Frame Size: X-Small

Rider Height: 5'2 - 5'6" / 158cm - 168cm

Frame Size (inches): 15" - 16"
Frame Size: Small

Rider Height: 5'6 - 5'10" / 168cm - 178cm

Frame Size (inches): 17" - 18"
Frame Size: Medium

Rider Height: 5'10 - 6'1" / 178cm - 185cm

Frame Size (inches): 19" - 20"
Frame Size: Large

Yes, that's the bike, guess they bought before the clearance discount, good to know this though. The Pinnacle is a tall size which might be too big for me. Will head to Evans for a test and see where I go from there. Might delay purchase till later and dust down my old Raleigh Freerider, will probably cost me a few bob to get it going again though! Many thanks.

Bicykell

Have you ridden any of the bikes you mention? I go along with the opinions so far, in that for this sort of money you want to keep it as simple as possible. You don't need suspension or disc brakes. You want to be on a bike that fits you. You just need to ride a few bikes to find it.

You may well do what (probably) all of us have done when we got into cycling, which is buy a bike and THEN find out what sort of bike you really want. I started out just over 2 years ago and bought a Specialized Sirrus Sport which, looking back, was a good first bike.

But if you take your time and torment the staff in a few local bike shops you will find something really nice which will get you putting the miles in and loving it.

Do let us all know how you get on.

Top Bottom