Yes, another newbie looking for some bike buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rbeekie

Have you ridden any of the bikes you mention? I go along with the opinions so far, in that for this sort of money you want to keep it as simple as possible. You don't need suspension or disc brakes. You want to be on a bike that fits you. You just need to ride a few bikes to find it.

You may well do what (probably) all of us have done when we got into cycling, which is buy a bike and THEN find out what sort of bike you really want. I started out just over 2 years ago and bought a Specialized Sirrus Sport which, looking back, was a good first bike.

But if you take your time and torment the staff in a few local bike shops you will find something really nice which will get you putting the miles in and loving it.

Do let us all know how you get on.

I am going to Evans on Saturday to try a couple out for size. I'm still looking at the used market as it looks like so many people buy bikes, especially on cycle-to-work, and don't use them. At the moment there is:

Giant Rove 2 for £175 never riden
Pinnacle Cobalt 2 for £200 new

Any thoughts on these, assuming both feel comfortable?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks good for the price. The Giant is the more expensive new. Both have suspension forks which you really don't need but that doesn't matter. Buy whichever fits you the best.

I'm still looking at the used market as it looks like so many people buy bikes, especially on cycle-to-work, and don't use them.
One thing to be aware of: bikes less than 3-4 years old purchased on cycle-to-work schemes may still be legally owned by the employers! If so, then the people advertising them are not free to sell them! Check they've received written confirmation from the scheme operator that legal title has been transferred to them.

Top Bottom