YES another "which bike" question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Always nice when you find a bike that hits your sweet spot straight off :thumbsup:

I imagine you'll be making sure the lights you've already got are high powered if you're commuting regularly.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Well the rear is bright but the front needs to be binned. I had to keep the costs down so I will wait til I actualy start commuting, As my commute will be 10.3 miles each way (i work nights) I will need to get my strength up. I was astonished at the price of a decent set of lights! most of my commute will be along lit A roads but there is a 2 mile section of unlit roads, I have been looking on E-bay (yes i know:rolleyes:) but i can get a half descent set on there way cheaper than LBS was asking. I have used this link as a guide http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html
I have been looking at the T6 lights???
Im looking at starting to commute Feb/Mar time so this should be ample time to get some miles under my belt but can only do this on days off.

Cyclist33

I use a Topeak White Line which was good enough to do the country lanes of Cheshire up to about midnight this summer. It was about £45 I think. I do think there's a tendency to overilluminate but you do need one good light.

I used to commute 10 miles a day on town and country roads when I lived in Hants with just a cheap Cateye front light, not sure why today's cheap lights don't seem as bright, or maybe my eyesight's getting worse!

Why wait till Feb??

Stu

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

I wanted to wait and get a bit fitter on the bike before i start commuting because 10m in then 8hr physical work then 10m home most of which is uphill, its going to be killer.

pac-man

I wanted to wait and get a bit fitter on the bike before i start commuting because 10m in then 8hr physical work then 10m home most of which is uphill, its going to be killer.
at first it would.... but after a few goes it becomes a joy...
On my first day commuting on the bike (22.5 miles each way, so 45 total miles per day) I needed a few days to recover and hated it.

Now i commute most days, so averaging around 225miles per week and absolutely love it. my route like yours is more uphill on the the way back.
i found the most important thing to do is, keep warm and dry, so invest in decent lighting and clothing as this will add to the enjoyment,

after all there are times when being cold and wet can be fun, but cycling isn't one of them.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

I am looking forward to it, Not only the petrol savings but i really need to shed some weight. My 40th is only a month away and i should start trying to be more active.
AARRGH! its the waiting game I dislike but all good things come to those that wait.
On the plus side I have worked out my commute route and travelled it by car several times.

Top Bottom