Yes another which bike thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Alexvs

All those figures don't mean too much to me, I'm lost when I look at stats as it is lol I nearly went to the Trek store today but got sidetracked at my favoured LBS and forgot but may pop in tomorrow.

Believe it or not I got a call today to say the bike has arrived ^_^

I went in just after 1 and gave it a test ride and it is a very nice bike. It feels a lot nicer than the 2011 I tested yesterday in 52 so think the 54 is spot on and surprised that it wasn't too big. The pedals that come on it are absolutely awful and I kept slipping off them so I'm hoping I can talk them into at least SPD's as currently ride with M520's and Specialized BG MTB Sport shoes which until funds allow will be fine but I haven't spoke to them about them yet. Think the tyres may need changing to 23's as the 25's seem really big even more so than the ones on my Giant Rapid which are 25 Vittoria Zaffiro's. I decided before buying however to go to my favoured LBS for a test ride of a Giant Defy 1. I'm now stuck between the 2 :huh:.

The 2 shops for service are really worlds apart, the first question the girl asked in Evans was is that fine, do you want to take it or have a test ride. In my LBS the guy spent an hour and a half with me sizing and adjusting a Defy in medium, changing over stems to get the perfect fit and then I took it out for a test ride in between trying the different settings so had a good try on a section of road I ride on my weekend journeys. I took out the Comp for about 10 mins going up and down the nearby redway but felt comfortable straight out the box however after spending so much time on the Defy makes me think it could actually do with being set up correctly as I'm one of those people that generally take things as I see them but now understand there's so much more to it and minor tweaking made a world of difference.

As for the feel of both the Comp feels slightly more relaxed where the Defy feels slightly more aggressive but without killing my back and on the slick 23's did seem to make progress swift. I love the look of the Comp compared to the Defy and the Defy uses an FSA chainset with 105 everywhere else so not quite at the Comp's 105 throughout. It is £999 though but then needs pedals. If I'm buying solely on bike think my hearts on the Comp but the level of service I get at my LBS is second to none and they've done plenty for me since buying my current Giant and know they'd be exactly the same with another just trying to convince myself I could do without that service as gives a great peace of mind.

Any words of wisdom? ^_^ There is a hitch to the Defy but won't say that for now to see if anyone's got any views on the above.

Thanks

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
There is a hitch to the Defy but won't say that for now

Thanks

It has the new style BB30 bottom bracket? (Not sure if the secteur has that too, but I would think its the Hollowtech type on the spesh - something to check out)

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Well I made up my mind after sleeping on it and then going for a second test ride of the Comp and absolutely loved it and actually felt alot more comfortable then on the Defy. Feel I've definitely made the right choice ^_^

Will post up pics later in a new thread when I can get them off my phone.

Oh and I decided to get another set of M520 SPD pedals as were on sale at £22.99 even though the guy wanted to sell me SPD-SL shoes and pedals but they'll come on my birthday wishlist ready for spring/summer. I tried getting him to do me a deal but apparently as the bike had 10% off already he couldn't. Can't wait for the weather to clear up now so I can take it out for a proper ride.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

They'll come but won't be till tonight as I'm not home till later, plus the ones I've taken are a bit pants resting against my kitchen table lol

Unfortunately the weather is exactly the same here so hoping tomorrow is alot better but not holding my breath:headshake:I'll hopefully get out on it before going back to work Tuesday.

Top Bottom