Yes another which bike thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

Hi all,

I've just got back from Evans after going to have a look at their clearance event. After speaking to a very helpful guy in there I've left with a few choices and thought before I jump in I'll get some advice from here. I'm looking for a comfortable bike which I can spend hours in the saddle of (and when fit do a C2C) so my flat bar Giant Rapid can be demoted to the commuter.

On the clearance they had a Bianchi Dama Bianca with 105 for £799.99 but it had some wear and knocks where it had been taken on demo rides and they said kept in the warehouse. Even though it's listed as unisex I'm guessing the Dama Bianca's are aimed at women? He said I wouldn't notice once I change the saddle but I'm not so sure.

Anyway my budget is £1000 and when in store discussed the following:

The one I've not heard much about: Fuji Team 1.0 with 105 at £899.99
The one suggested by them for my purpose: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Tiagra 2012 at £890.99
The one I liked the look of: Cannondale CAAD8 5 105 2012 at £944.99
Or at a stretch of the budget: Specialized Secteur Comp 2011 £1049.99

There are loads of others like the Specialized Allez Elite 2011, Felt Z85 2012, Eddy Merckx AMX1 2011 and Norco Valence A1 2012, some of which I've never heard of all in budget but thought I'd mention what I spoke to them about first.

This will be my first road bike and the reason for getting it from Evans is that I can do the 12 months interest free and spread the cost so I can buy now rather than have to wait 6 months and stick with the current bike. All suggestions welcome with this in mind, please help a lost man find the right bike :biggrin:

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
First off, I have to admit a bias... I do like specialized!
So when reading this keep that in mind, and also that I dont have any real knowledge of the other bikes.

If I were in you shoes, and you could stretch the budget another £30 on top of the 2011 sectur comp, why not get the 2012 secteur comp? If I could only have one bike, I think that would be it (I have a 2010 secteur elite, 2010 tricross and 2011 Roubaix elite)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Why? Well, Im not a racer and I can really appreiciate the more relaxed position, if you are planning on doing distance you might find a full on racing position a bit too much after a few hours, but that will depend on your physical tolerences. It has carbon forks and rear stays with zerts to help soak up road buzz, and it also looks like it will take a rear rack. Im guessing that the tyres will follow the specialized trend of being a bit lager than advertised so Crud road racers probably wont fit well with them, but I have 23mm specialized tyres that are more like 25s on my secteur and the crusd are OK.

It has full 105 kit, so when you need to change bits in a few years you can either stick with the reasonably priced 105 kit, or mix and match some ultegra or dura ace if funds and ambitions allow. Where as with tiagra (9 speed) you are really stuck with tiagra. Dont get me wrong, I like tiagra and have it on the tricross and its faultless for what it is, its just that there is no real upgrade path unless you change the whole lot.

Having said that, the CAAD does get a lot of good reviews, but make sure you can stand the position for the distances you intend to use it for.

I brought the Secteur and Roubaix from the Concept store in Birmingham and both swere imaculate and set up to perfection. They will price match evans so it might be worth a trip up to them, but call first to make sure they have what you want in stock and will match. If you take some ID and leave your car keys they should also let you have a trial around the car park. (its a big car park at the back of Fort Dunlop)

Please ask any questions if you have any.

EDIT: Also, dont forget to check out the Synapse, cannondales "comfy" roadbike. It does seem to have a nicer (But maybe less sturdy?) wheelset. Looks like no rack mounts and the seat tube has a bulge bu the rear wheel that could make cruds difficult to fit - only you can say if that is important to you. This was on my to check out list, but once I got on the Secteur it was a done deal.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-5-105-2012-road-bike-ec031477?query=synapse

Also, with the other bikes they claim to be "105". But check the specs - most only have shifters and derailiers that are 105. The Secteur also has the chainwheel and brakes that are 105 too.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Firstly thanks for taking the time to give a detailed reply :thumbsup:

You are right, it would be worth going the extra to get the 2012 and the main reason I didn't see it is I had the upper limit to £1050 lol Ideally I want to get the best kit I can that will last me a good few years for my money but obviously have to set a limit. I originally set that limit at £900 but then saw the CAAD and raised it then saw the Secteur Comp and it goes on.

Like you I'm no racer so a more relaxed ride would probably be ideal. While I was reading the reviews of the Allez Elite 2011 on Evans I saw a few people mention for 2012 Spec have replaced the E5 aluminium frame with lesser A1 aluminium. I really don't know if this is true but as with most bike related bits I'm going with word of mouth and to be fair I doubt I'd tell the difference between the 2 frames. I'd like to be able to fit Crud's or similar as I have with the current bike as not a fan of a wet rear and don't plan for this to be a strict summer roadie.

I'm lost when it comes to groupsets and the difference between 105 and tiagra. Do you think I'd benefit more from the 105 over the new tiagra 10 speed on the 2012 Secteur or Allez Elite for example? Would I regret going for the tiagra to keep costs down a bit if I went that way? What would be the main difference also between the Secteur and Allez, does one have a more relaxed geometry than the other?

I've read lots of good things about the CAAD as well which is why I thought it's worth a look. The one I've asked about actually uses a mix of 105 and tiagra as has the 10 speed tiagra cassette which seems common in my price range, is there any downside to mixing?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for taking the time out to help.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Allez elite I tried out a few years ago now - a more aggressive riding position so if you're after comfort perhaps not this one.

105 allows you room to upgrade as Paul above has mentioned whether Tiagra system will need to be replaced with like for like.

To be honest- the best thing and only thing that matter is trying them out- go for a test ride and see how they feel.

PaulSecteur

Im not sure of the compatability of the new 10 speed tiagra with 105, ultegra and Dura ace, hopefully someone will be along to comment. I think shimanos website usually has a compatability chart somewhere if you want to dig it up.

The allez is a "Race" bike, where as the Secteur is "Endurance road". Same with the CAAD and the synapse. You may be comfortable on a race bike, only you can tell... and probably only after a good long ride. Unless you are already fit and light I would suggest the endurance road bikes would be the safer bet for being comfortable over a longer ride. Though, plenty of people will tell you they are comfy on a race bike (But they may well be light and accustomed to it through a few years of training).

The best way I can put this is... Of all the bikes mentioned so far, the 2012 secteur comp is the only one I would be really happy with out of the box*, with the others I would already be thinking about getting the brakes and maybe other bits up to the spec of the rest of the bike, budget £50 for front and rear 105 brakes, and about £120 for a 105 chainwheel.

When I buy a bike I loke to think Im going to be keeping it for a good few years, so to me the extra now is worth not having the upgrade bug biting at me during that time.

*you may want an everyday wheelset, and a special lighter wheelset for for longer rides after you have had the bike for a few years. You dont have too, but its nice to have. This would be true of any bike mentioned so far. I have tried the 10 speed tiagra for a short trial ride on a Genesis Croix de fer and it worked well. However, for a bike with "sporty" ambitions I would be happier with 105.

Hope that helps, but its probably made you more confused! Welcome to the world of dialemmes that is buying a new bike!

Also check out reviews, evans site has some worth a read.

specialized-2012-secteur-comp-road-bike_productImages_9843-1-16326_800_800_False.png

PS- Looks loverly, doesnt she?

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Thanks both for the clarification and 105 reassurance, it definitely sounds worthwhile then.

Paul that's definitely helped clear things up I'm now less confused then I was. I also saw your edit on the previous post about the Synapse and definitely think I'll benefit from the less racy position but after just doing a compare side by side of the Secteur Comp and Synapse the Comp seems to have the better package as you say it's 105 throughout. I am looking for longevity so the ability to upgrade when I'm more accustomed to it in time is definitely worth the extra money for me so I'm not worried about spending that little more.

Yes looks perfect and would go great with my black and red kit I've got :biggrin: Surely that's reason enough lol

While playing with my new mini pump I got for xmas I've managed to tear one of my inner tubes by the presta valve (think I was a bit rough) so I will visit Evans again tomorrow seeing as I'm now going there anyway :whistle: and organise them to get in the right size for me to try.

Thanks again for the great help :thumbsup:

PaulSecteur

Happy to help!

I think that is a great bike and will see you proud for a good few years to come. Im 100% happy with 105 and doubt I will upgrade, but its a nice option to have. Please remember Im a spesh fanboy and to make sure you have a good go on one before parting with your cash!

Dont forget to try for some extras with evans, the pedels it comes with are a bit naff (as with any decent bike) so you might want to get them to throw in a decent pair as part of the deal.

Oh yeah...when you get it make sure you post up some pics!

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

I'll definitely be having a ride on it first and they said I just need to put a £50 deposit to order it in then if I'm not happy I'll get the deposit back and can go back to the drawing board. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy, it helps people like me get a good background on the bike in question or make in question and the Secteur was on my list anyway, you just steered me towards finding out the right detail.

I definitely will be, they always say they can't do deals on the price but it's all about the accessories and pedals are first on the list.

Don't worry I'll be getting pics of it looking tidy and clean before it's taken out ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'll definitely be having a ride on it first and they said I just need to put a £50 deposit to order it in then if I'm not happy I'll get the deposit back and can go back to the drawing board. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy, it helps people like me get a good background on the bike in question or make in question and the Secteur was on my list anyway, you just steered me towards finding out the right detail.

I definitely will be, they always say they can't do deals on the price but it's all about the accessories and pedals are first on the list.

Don't worry I'll be getting pics of it looking tidy and clean before it's taken out ^_^

Watch the £50 Evans deposit thing. My local store (Kendal) initially said this but when I got very close to ordering a Secteur Comp they suddenly said a 25% deposit was required at that price point. This 'news' was flagged up when the guy went into the ordering system.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Spesh is a lovely looking bike. Am interested in the Secteur Comp, had a test on one of the lower price point models and it felt nice even without Zertz at the back + the Comp has pretty much a full 105 groupset as mentioned.

The CAAD is no doubt a nice frame but the bike model clearly states 105 in it yet if you look at the bike you will end up playing spot the 105 component. Very sorry Cannondale but I'm not playing that game. Seems like this sort of thing is ok in this industry and not just Cannondale do this.

Happy hunting

Cyclist33

Hi all,

I've just got back from Evans after going to have a look at their clearance event. After speaking to a very helpful guy in there I've left with a few choices and thought before I jump in I'll get some advice from here. I'm looking for a comfortable bike which I can spend hours in the saddle of (and when fit do a C2C) so my flat bar Giant Rapid can be demoted to the commuter.

On the clearance they had a Bianchi Dama Bianca with 105 for £799.99 but it had some wear and knocks where it had been taken on demo rides and they said kept in the warehouse. Even though it's listed as unisex I'm guessing the Dama Bianca's are aimed at women? He said I wouldn't notice once I change the saddle but I'm not so sure.

Anyway my budget is £1000 and when in store discussed the following:

The one I've not heard much about: Fuji Team 1.0 with 105 at £899.99
The one suggested by them for my purpose: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Tiagra 2012 at £890.99
The one I liked the look of: Cannondale CAAD8 5 105 2012 at £944.99
Or at a stretch of the budget: Specialized Secteur Comp 2011 £1049.99

There are loads of others like the Specialized Allez Elite 2011, Felt Z85 2012, Eddy Merckx AMX1 2011 and Norco Valence A1 2012, some of which I've never heard of all in budget but thought I'd mention what I spoke to them about first.

This will be my first road bike and the reason for getting it from Evans is that I can do the 12 months interest free and spread the cost so I can buy now rather than have to wait 6 months and stick with the current bike. All suggestions welcome with this in mind, please help a lost man find the right bike :biggrin:

Thanks in anticipation.

Alex

Hi, I m no speshalised fan so may be a tad more objective! It does sound good but you need to try it, not us!

If it were me, only question I'd ask myself is Do I want to fit rack n panniers. The Felt for instance doesn't have the option. The speshalised seems like over budget really, considering all your others leave room for goodies or upgrades.

PaulSecteur

Fair point about the spesh pushing the budget, but then there is always the elite for about 900, with a few less 105 bits and without the zerta.d.

But as he wants it for long distance rides I would go the extra if I could.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Watch the £50 Evans deposit thing. My local store (Kendal) initially said this but when I got very close to ordering a Secteur Comp they suddenly said a 25% deposit was required at that price point. This 'news' was flagged up when the guy went into the ordering system.
I've checked and it's £50 if it's in stock at their warehouse or 25% if they have to do a special order which is then only transferable I believe but thanks. I also noticed the mix and match parts on the CAAD and alot of other models at that price point so reckon the extra for the full 105 is worth it.
Hi, I m no speshalised fan so may be a tad more objective! It does sound good but you need to try it, not us!

If it were me, only question I'd ask myself is Do I want to fit rack n panniers. The Felt for instance doesn't have the option. The speshalised seems like over budget really, considering all your others leave room for goodies or upgrades.
Thanks, the rack and panniers would be a no, as functional as they are I don't like them. I ride with a rucksack, it's convenient enough for me.

It is over budget but the budget is purely for my bike not for extras as for my current bike I set a total budget which meant I got a lesser spec'd bike which I don't want to do this time round so am happy going the extra especially with the sale as it's a £1200 bike.

I'm going to pop out in a bit and check one of my LBS's as they also do Specialized to see if they have my size and get a test ride if I can and on something similar to compare. Will write back once I've had a go, thanks again for all the help.

Monkspeed

Well, if it was my cash I probably would get the Felt Z85 or the Eddie Mercx, most probably the Eddie as they look lovely to my eye.

Sorry not very scientific reasons but at that price point I doubt any of the bikes would be rubbish, just got to find one that fits you right, and you love the look of. If it looks good to your eye, psychologically you will want to ride it more.

EDIT: Just looking at the Felt and Eddie specs, the Z85 has full 105 setup vs the Eddie Tiagra, the Felt offers a much better spec for the money so I would have gone for that, if it was my money an all...

my 2p worth

Top Bottom