Which road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please. I currently have a Whyte Shoreditch hybrid bike and this has been great since I started cycling in the initial lockdown. I'm now finding I'm a bit slow when compared to my friends on their road bikes. I tend to go for 30-50km rides but plan to to do a 160km event next month. I won't be racing and this isn't my aim. I'm thinking of getting a road bike now, second hand, budget around £200-300.

A family friend recommended getting a Canondale Synapse, ideally with Shimano 105. Not sure if the 105 is within budget. Can you advise on any brands and models I should get? Is Canondale the best or any others?

What should I look for when buying second hand other than overall condition?

Many thanks in advance!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may drop lucky at £300 mark, but it will be 10 years old or so. Buy on condition ! I won't mention going from 50k to 160k is a big jump and you've a month. You need to have done a few 100k rides.

davidphilips

Veteran
Main thing when buying a bike is going for the right size, wrong size will always be wrong for you, ask one of your friends to lend you there bike /bikes and see how you feel on it not just around the block but after 20 or 30 miles, again asking a friend to go along with you to view a used bike parts are not cheap and if you buy one needing a good service plus tyres the cost can go up quite a bit.

Fossyant hit the mark two very good points would rather have a 20 year old bike in good condition than a 2 year old bike that need tlc, plus if your max distance at present is 50k, going form that to 160k is a massive leap, You only have a few weeks plus you intend to doit on a new bike that may not be set up %100?
If you do go for the 160k next month, speed down lots of fluids during the cycle if you feel thirsty you have left it to late plus small regular snacks, good luck.

All uphill

Still rolling along
You may find what you are looking for if you are willing to look at bikes from less actively marketed brands.

As an example I bought a Felt F75 with 10 speed 105 in excellent condition in December for £200. Just as good as one of the big brands and, imo, a bit more interesting.

Good hunting!

Jameshow

Veteran
Any of the big name brands bikes wil be good, Cannondale giant spez but you get a newer / higher spec bike for same money from a lesser name bike like felt, cube, Jamis, boardman decathlon, Ribble planet X etc.

9 spd is a good compromise of value and efficiency.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine that a 'road' bike will be appreciably, if anything, quicker than what you have.

It's the motor that really matters, and that will be the same in both instances.

I disagree. Lighter weight and better aerodynamics make a difference; maybe not a huge amount, but significant if cycling with a group.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tidy looking Trek Alpha in Menston for 200 notes. 56 frame. Gumtree.
IMG_20230515_180524.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got my Colnago Cross Bike for £330. Could have stopped there but me being fussy replaced all cables, bar tape, new bottle cages, new brake pads and a set of tyres for another £150. But you don't need to do that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm just over 6' and my Trek is also a 56 although I prefer a 58. Should be okay for you. Judging by that seat post I'd say the seller is 6' plus.
As @fossyant says you might need to spend a little bit on tidying but probably not too much.
Anything that needs replacing use a bargaining chip to drop the price.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I disagree. Lighter weight and better aerodynamics make a difference; maybe not a huge amount, but significant if cycling with a group.
Ollix!

It's ALL about the engine.

I used a rigid hybrid for many years. Did forum rides, sportives, etc and never found myself lacking. Would still be using it now if the frame hadn't cracked.

Still 'smash' many other riders on 'performance' bikes when riding my current commuter bike with loaded panniers and mudguards.

Just returned from Spain and after one particularly hilly ride I encountered a young Spanish racing snake. I had ridden about 80 miles in mountainous terrain (altitudes over 4000ft) and he chatted with me about chain ganging back into Girona because of an unfavorable headwind. We set off with him on a skeletal road bike and me on a sub-optimal gravel bike with twiddly gearing. After 10 miles we hit a bit of a climb and I suddenly looked round to find him dropped off the back and disappearing fast. I did the final 15 miles alone :laugh:. Probably 25yrs his senior but still had the legs to ride away from him despite the miles, climbing and bike choices.

What is your current bike? I would suggest not changing bikes at this stage because you risk making things worse. There are many minor changes that can be made to optimise your current set up before you think about changing bikes.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Ollix!

It's ALL about the engine.

I used a rigid hybrid for many years. Did forum rides, sportives, etc and never found myself lacking. Would still be using it now if the frame hadn't cracked.

Still 'smash' many other riders on 'performance' bikes when riding my current commuter bike with loaded panniers and mudguards.

Just returned from Spain and after one particularly hilly ride I encountered a young Spanish racing snake. I had ridden about 80 miles in mountainous terrain (altitudes over 4000ft) and he chatted with me about chain ganging back into Girona because of an unfavorable headwind. We set off with him on a skeletal road bike and me on a sub-optimal gravel bike with twiddly gearing. After 10 miles we hit a bit of a climb and I suddenly looked round to find him dropped off the back and disappearing fast. I did the final 15 miles alone :laugh:. Probably 25yrs his senior but still had the legs to ride away from him despite the miles, climbing and bike choices.

What is your current bike? I would suggest not changing bikes at this stage because you risk making things worse. There are many minor changes that can be made to optimise your current set up before you think about changing bikes.

Thanks, I currently have a Whyte Shoreditch hybrid bike. It has 32c tyres. I know I could have thinner tyres but like the fact that this bike can be used with kids on gravel paths / off road, so don't want the hassle of swapping tyres.

Top Bottom