Yes I know, another "What bike.."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
But I'm having very little luck finding something suitable. First up, this is just a dream. As yet there is no funding available and there isn't likely to be but......

I'm after a touring bike to use for commuting so I can retire the Giant. The Giant will probably need new wheels soon and a £200 outlay on those may enable me to persuade SWMBO that it makes more sense to get a new bike.

The criteria:
1. Must have disc brakes
2. Must have drop bars
3. It has to be big. I've not yet seen a bike that is too big and the two bikes I currently have are compact geometry 58cms. A standard geometry 64cm wouldn't be a problem but anything between 58 and 64.
4. Budget around £700 - £800
Thanks for suggestions.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Push up the budget you tight git. With £800 you are going to be hard pressed to get anything decent. ie BB7 brakes instead of the supposedly troublesome BB5's.
You will see my Kona Honky on Sunday. A nice bit of kit that has everything you ask for, but I think largest size is 61.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not judging by the weather forecast I won't!!!

And the budget is more or less fixed. After the expenditure for Lelly, SWMBO is unlikely to let me spend more. The very limit will be the cycle to work scheme.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think you'll struggle to get much choice for less than £800.

As well as the Focus Mares, the Boardman CX Team fits at £900... but Halfords!!! The Genesis CdF (not the Croix de Fer) is less, but doesn't have a fantastic spec. And with all of them, you'll probably have to upgrade the brakes.

You might be able to do something much cheaper if you can pick up a second hand tourer and replace the fork for a disc capable one. You'd then at least be able to fit a BB7 disc brake to the front, though make sure you get the road version (you can tell I've thought about going this myself, haven't you?).

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm trying to solve two problems with one bike and it may be easier to use two bikes:

1. I'd like to move the commuting bike away from rim brakes. However I've currently had over 10,000 miles out of the wheels on the Giant (the front may need replacing soon, I think the rear is still fine) so maybe I'm just best to continue as is and replace when necessary.
2. The Peak District revealed some flaws in the Martin/Lelly team (largely on the Martin side I feel) but Lelly is equipped to take a rack and mudguards et al. Maybe I could just buy crank set with 50/34 and a cassette with 28/12 and swap them over when I feel I may need to.

[I must go back for another crack at the Peak District, I feel there is unfinished business there!]

Top Bottom