Yes, I'm in a desperate need for help to choose a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AmishParadise

I have done a year of road cycling on a second hand entry level bike and now it's time to upgrade. I'm going on my bike once or sometimes twice a week for 30 - 50 miles mostly. Trying to improve my average speed. The roads around here are not the best and there are some smaller and bigger hills on my usual routes too.

So I'm sort of looking for a speedy bike. My budget is around 1500 and I have my eyes on 3 bikes that I can't choose from.

Specialized Allez DSW SL Sprint Comp costs 1450 (with discount), has great looks, 105 groupset, has 24 mm tyres

Giant Propel Advanced 2 costs 1500 (with discount), looks great, 105 groupset, 23mm tyres (is it a good choice for not so great roads?)

both of these are from rutland cycling and they have some reward points that would give me another 100 to spend in the shop.

Viner Maxima RS 4.0 Shimano Ultegra 6800 costs 1350 (with discount), not the best looking out of them, but still ok, ultegra groupset, carbon frame, 25mm tyres. Seems like the most value for the money for a a dumb me and I'm about to go with this one.

I'm hoping that you guys will help me make this decision and comment on my choices. Other bikes can be suggested too if you want to confuse me even more.

Have you considered non financial things like frame warranty and LBS after sales support.

Personally, I would not get another Planet X bike after I wrote a frame off in an accident and had poor customer service when I have had general queries on things they sell. That said they know how to sell effectively with an easy checkout process.

If I were you I would be going for a Giant as they look pretty, have a good resale value and good warranty offer.

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't like the 2017 range much, sonId get a bargain 2016 model Cinelli Saetta Radical Plus:

Cinelli-Saetta-Radical-Tiagra-2016-Road-Bikes-Black-Red-TD217L.jpg

Brand new one on eBay £1295

Man that rocks.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As an alternative, what about this: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-pro-carbon-bike-2016
pro carbon.JPG

Carbon, 105 5800, 25m tyres (and will accept 28mm or 30mm, should you choose for a plusher ride), hydraulic discs for £1200 on run out in last years colours (which in my opinion look better than this years). And, if you're not already a member, join British Cycling for £30 and get another £120 off, making it the steal of the week at just £1,080.

Road.cc certainly like it - review here: http://road.cc/content/review/184313-boardman-road-pro-carbon

And if you think I'm biased, that's mine in my avatar ;)

I've got the propel advanced 2 2017 model.... fab bike really quick and responsive... bit more aggressive riding position than my Defy... so possibly not as comfortable for longer rides as the. But a cracking bike I enjoy riding it.

Can't comment on the other bikes you.. but I love mine.. its far more capable than its owner....

Lee_M

Guru
I have a higher spec propel bit absolutely love it.

As for longer rides I've done two 100 mile rides and a 200km in the last month woth no issues

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't like the 2017 range much, sonId get a bargain 2016 model Cinelli Saetta Radical Plus:

View attachment 357431

Brand new one on eBay £1295

Man that rocks.
:hyper::hungry:

OP
OP
A

AmishParadise

Thanks for advice. I'm a local to rutland and halfords. The idea is to buy a 3 year bike service from halfords (costs 70 pounds I think), so they can deal with all the little problems and service checks. I'm not so good with all of that on my own. I did visit rutland and tried the giant bike. I did love how it felt, but I could not try it with the pedals on, so it's hard to say how it would feel on the road. They didn't have a specialized model in stock though and could not compare both of them.

As for the boardman bike posted, I just don't like the way it looks (I don't think boardman bikes appeal to me at all) and not a fan of disc brakes too. The other one from ebay looks decent except that it does not have internal cables, but I could not look up that exact plus model (a link would be nice).

So is it worth buying from the local shop instead of going for the superior carbon frame and ultegra grouspet? Is there a mayor difference between 105 and ultegra?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a Giant Defy and loved it. Fast, responsive and good for being on for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I now have a Planet X which lives in the bedroom (I actually have 2 Planet X bikes) and, to my mind is even better than the Defy.
+1 on the Boardman mentioned by @NorthernDave. They are great bikes and the British Cycling discounts are fab. My membership pays for itself 4 times over every year, not that I bought a bike, just cycling bits and bobs.

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks for advice. I'm a local to rutland and halfords. The idea is to buy a 3 year bike service from halfords (costs 70 pounds I think), so they can deal with all the little problems and service checks. I'm not so good with all of that on my own. I did visit rutland and tried the giant bike. I did love how it felt, but I could not try it with the pedals on, so it's hard to say how it would feel on the road. They didn't have a specialized model in stock though and could not compare both of them.

As for the boardman bike posted, I just don't like the way it looks (I don't think boardman bikes appeal to me at all) and not a fan of disc brakes too. The other one from ebay looks decent except that it does not have internal cables, but I could not look up that exact plus model (a link would be nice).

So is it worth buying from the local shop instead of going for the superior carbon frame and ultegra grouspet? Is there a mayor difference between 105 and ultegra?

Routing should be internal. This is the wiggle page, though a Tiagra spec
http://www.wiggle.com/cinelli-saetta-radical-tiagra-2016/

eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2628448344...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1234792205234

Top Bottom