Yesterday's pie report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Rose Cottage Pantry pie stall, York Christmas Market

Pork pie:
Visually perfect in structure and colour. Good crimping. Visible firm jelly.

JNB_z81XSnFc1QNKl4HahtTJiFwyd1yDiZsWamq_AIY=w586-h781.jpg

Biting into it suggested that the pie was going to deliver the first 11/10 for a pie. Fantastic crisp texture for the pastry, no voids, great colour and texture for the filling....

x7q0yqhD886-FowA5JJsBk-7YLaRWK-JEe0VkKIY2nI=w586-h781.jpg

Sadly, the pies was 'all fur coat and no knickers' on the taste front. Very little was offered by the pastry and the filling was recognisably a pork pie filling but lacked body, spice and enjoyment. Unprecedented I abandoned the pork pie, re-wrapped it and moved onto the pork and caramelised onion pie.

Again, visually, full marks. Who could resist the appeal of such a pie?

VVTzACyXXvJ6UEQhjYsJb4Q-HR0Yw84eYYCQJLHuj3c=w586-h781.jpg

First impressions on biting into it was, yes! this is the one.

qbpVyxo8wUTuZCOPp0mvvHHpVKjiTGaqEfpIUhBNtd8=w586-h781.jpg

A darker filling hinting at a game filling, onion aroma, minimal voidage, good texture all round but...

the onion chutney was too sweet, the pork was underwhelming but nevertheless, the pie was tastier than the plain pork pie.

And now to the scores:

Pork pie: 5/10. Better than supermarket fare but only just. The crust was the redeeming feature. Pricey at £2
Pork and caramelised onion: 6/10. Has promise but a bit on the sweet side. Value for money questionable at £2.30

I thought that I was being a bit harsh on the scoring but my wife, a pie avoider, sampled both and agreed that they both promised more than they delivered and that the scoring was fair and if anything, was generous with the plain pie.

As for the uneaten half pie, that was rescued from my pocked and used as a tasting platform for a range of chilli jams on another stall.

Every cloud has a silver lining...

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
You sure that's an accurate report....... Your not telling porkie pies now are you? :laugh:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Mmmmm they do look tasty, any pork pie is 100% better than the ones Asda sell

Appearance isn't everything. Remember premium prices i.e. £2 and £2.30 should be bedfellows with premium eating experience. There's a lot of pies out there that are both cheaper and superior to the Rose Cottage Pantry ones. Folk living in East Yorkshire need look no further than Sissons of Pocklingtonvfor great pies.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Mmmmm they do look tasty, any pork pie is 100% better than the ones Asda sell

Asda's best are better value than the plain pork pie.

Top Bottom