Yet another Black Cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Norm said:
Indeed. I think someone is liking her new ride. ;)

Oh aye! :thumbsup: zoooooooooooooooooooooom!

NigC said:
Completely pointless to overtake with the traffic situation anyway, so why do it so close???? Very dangerous

What annoyed me the most was that at the time the road is two lanes, bus lane and an all road users lane which was empty. :sad:

iamanidiot

So no one else watched that and thought it was a bit hypocritical to then squeeze past the cyclist on the left immediatly after that incident?

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
iamanidiot said:
So no one else watched that and thought it was a bit hypocritical to then squeeze past the cyclist on the left immediatly after that incident?

I didn't think that was a squeeze past the cyclist as you can see that "nasty cab man" actually starts to move right to overtake the cyclist, I just jumped into and out of the gap he created and carried on my commute as he got snarled up in the queue.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Judging by the fact the first traffic light is on amber when the cyclist goes through, there's probably a chance of doing the cabbie for going through a red light as well. ;)

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
User3143 said:
Yep, not to mention being in the wrong lane at the lights. And being in a poor position pulling away when the traffic was stationary.

In my defence the lane is left to for all road users except buses, cabs and cyclists. Would you be able to elaborate on your position thoughts, please?

iamanidiot

Twenty Inch said:
This is a video in which a cyclist is at the recieving end of some low speed crap driving, no doubt. But I find it hard to be sympathetic to the cyclist when it's book-ended with the cyclist undertaking through a junction and apparently squeezing between another cyclist and the same taxi at a point where the road narrows, giving the other cyclist as much space as the taxi driver gave HaloJ.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
That's not what it says on the road.

Agreed, on the road at 51 seconds it says "except for buses and taxis" it does not mention cyclists

I would also agree that the overtake on the Brompton was far too close and in reality as poor as the overtake by the taxi to the OP

manalog

Über Member
Jezze, that was close, I would definitely report him/her. BTW, that road looks scary, loads of Lorries and Cement Mixers.

yello

To be honest, I did think you were being 'brave' going inside the cabs approaching a left turn. I'd be concerned of inviting the left hook. And personally I wouldn't have gone past the brompton just there, it looked a bit tight, though I do know the camera can give a false perspective.

All of that said, the black cab DID pull in a bit too close for comfort. That was poor driving, no question.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
User3143, 4F, iamanidiot.

On the approach to the line and the ASL the left hand side is a cycle lane. Although as you can see by the colour of the ASL the green is rather faded. The white line denoting the cycle lane hasn't been repainted yet due to recent resurfacing but you can see it's supposed to be there at 0:55/56 by the broken line at entrance to the ASL together with the faded green spludge. Really interesting about the arrow though as that used to be straight on and left and then the road filtered from two lanes to one over the lights as can be seen by the arrow pointing right at the start of the bus lane.

With regards to the brommie that I passed. I didn't squeeze him as I had been by the cabby. I moved into a space created as the cabby now spent of malicious behaviour gave the brommy rider a wider berth. Although I do admit that it was close but only so much as two cyclists riding side by side taking up the same space as a car which the camera doesn't show very well.

Sympathy with regards to the cabbies driving wasn't required I just wished to confirm that his driving was malicous. I feel comparing me to the cabby is a little off. I didn't pull alongside the brommy and try and swipe him off his bike or push him into the gutter forcing him to make avoiding manoeuvres.

Potsy : Oh my god it's amazing! :wacko:

EDIT: please don't read this as an arsey reply, I posted in a rush.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Jaguar said:
Would a little hand-slap on the side of the cab as he squeezed you, be out of order? :smile:

I'd have done so on my hybrid for sure. The Secteur doesn't brake as well at the moment but that could be the difference between standard blocks on the Secteur and the Swisstop cartridges I put on the hyrbid. Plus the road isn't exactly the smoothest closer to the kerb.

yello said:
To be honest, I did think you were being 'brave' going inside the cabs approaching a left turn. I'd be concerned of inviting the left hook. And personally I wouldn't have gone past the brompton just there, it looked a bit tight, though I do know the camera can give a false perspective.

I normally would wait behind and it was only when the cab came to a halt whilst I could see the lights were on green that I thought I'd use the currently unmarked (but it is green) cycle lane. About the left hook comment, totally agree. I remember looking for indicators but I most certainly didn't presume to expect a none indicated left turn.

Norm

potsy said:
See what you mean about the bike being fast now halo,mine don't go like that so it must be broken;)
+1

I think mine needs a new engine, this one is old and smokes a bit when idle. :smile:

Top Bottom