Yet another clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A spoke, perhaps? I had a noise like that, and it was an overtight spoke from a wheel I had gotten on a used bicycle.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
XT spds are a doddle to service.
For those happier with a spanner than a keyboard perhaps. I'll aim for the BB first then maybe have a look at the pedals. After all it's been a while since I turned up at my LBS with a carrier bag and the words "I'm not sure what I've done but I'm confident it's all in here, could you put it back together again please?"

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
A spoke, perhaps? I had a noise like that, and it was an overtight spoke from a wheel I had gotten on a used bicycle.
I've kind of discounted the spokes. All my bikes have suffered from spoke noise and this is a different noise. Lelly still has some spoke noise but it tends to settle down after 10 miles or so.

ayceejay

Guru
Check these in this order cleats (and shoes generally) - pedals - crank bolts, before moving on to BB and other things. Crank bolts need to be tightened evenly and to torque with grease on the hole the bolt goes into and Loctite on the thread, Pedals need to be tightened to crank arm to torque also, after cleaning and greasing thread (do this before dismantling pedals,) the straps on your shoes can creak so use shoe polish wherever the imitation leather meets imitation leather. I suggest doing these things one at a time so that you know where the creak was coming from - for next time.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I had a very similar creak on my commuter a while ago - the source was the BB. After removal, cleaning, and re-insertion (I got this done at the LBS so not sure whether they used teflon/copper grease/whatever), I am finally creak free and loving it! Good luck fixing it :smile:

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Hi All,
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the comments by others but, My experience was drivi g me nuts, did all the things you would think to eliminate an annoying click, BB out greased, Crank arms, Seat/ seat post, Headset all removed and cleaned, even removed front skewer and greased but all to no avail. I would have bet money it was the bottom bracket, Then last week had a rear puncture so removed rear wheel replaced tube put wheel back on, hey presto!!! Totally silent bike all the way home, 200 miles later still total silence, no more embarrassing hill climbing, My point is I was TOTALLY convinced it was the Crank/bottom bracket so really need to check ALL areas,
Just hope this experience will help someone.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi All,
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the comments by others but, My experience was drivi g me nuts, did all the things you would think to eliminate an annoying click, BB out greased, Crank arms, Seat/ seat post, Headset all removed and cleaned, even removed front skewer and greased but all to no avail. I would have bet money it was the bottom bracket, Then last week had a rear puncture so removed rear wheel replaced tube put wheel back on, hey presto!!! Totally silent bike all the way home, 200 miles later still total silence, no more embarrassing hill climbing, My point is I was TOTALLY convinced it was the Crank/bottom bracket so really need to check ALL areas,
You're right it can come from anywhere and is incredibly difficult to pin point when you're sat above it and the frame is transmitting all the noise along its length so it always seems to be drive train.

Mine was so loud though that I just asked a fellow rider to ride alongside and that allows a clearer triangulation of the noise (even better if it's a 'bent rider).

I seem to have fixed mine but I don't know what it was. I just took all the bottom bracket area apart and covered it in grease including the bolts holding the left crank on and the drive side crank bolts. Seems to have done the trick. Since I took the pedals off to grease the threads though I'm having a little difficulty pedalling......

WP_20150527_11_34_17_Pro.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Hi All,
Sounds so like my experience yesterday. I'd had this intermittent click for a week or so, that was not particularly rhythmic, happened when in the saddle only, and just occasionally came when I wasn't pedalling. I refixed the headset. I replaced the saddle. I checked the rear mech for unwanted movement and the frame for cracks. I removed the rack - hey presto no noise! I cleaned and greased all bolts on the rack and put it back on. More noise, but why? Finally in a mood of 'try anything' I loosened the back wheel then refixed it. Problem solved.
I could have saved myself hours, and removing the wheel will be one of my first checks next time.

Top Bottom