Yet another clipless thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nitram55

Slow hill cimber
I recently decided to give clipless a go and invested in a pair of shimano m520 pedals and a pair of Decathalon BTwin 3 mountain bike shoes(The cheapest pair of SPD compatible shoes I could find) So far no clipless moments and I can feel the benefit.
My problem is hot spots on the balls of my feet and I am wondering if better(stiffer) shoes would help to alleviate the problem as I wold like to stay clipless if at all possible, any advice would be most welcome.

PS
If it makes any difference I wear a size 11

MikeD111

The placement of your clear is very important as is the shoe fit but if you are new to clipless then you might just be not use the the fixed position. Is this your first time out report?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What benefit do you think you can feel?

But as you've flippers like me, I think you'd need to pick shoes very carefully. SPD pedals seem very small and I even pick larger than usual flats to spread the pressure on my feet.

sight-pin

Veteran
I use a pair of mtb shoes from Aldi, they have quite a stiff plate at the bottom, i cant feel any give in them and fairly cheap.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to have similar, moving my cleats back helped so that the flat bit of the cleat is level with the foot bone works for me .
BOF.gif

Untitled.jpg

Slioch

Guru
My experience is similar to @cyberknight. When I first started using SPD's in my size 11's I was getting hotspots after just a few miles. I played about with moving the cleat back towards the heel, just a couple of mm's at a time, until I found the sweetspot.

I still occasionally develop a "hotspot", but only after 70 or 80 miles now.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could try some insoles in the shoes too especially if you have flat feet, high arches etc

I expect it's just being new to clipless especially if you've not got the cleats in the right place

I suffer much more when it's hot and my feet swell

Top Bottom