Yet another creaking BB question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Bit of a thread hijack....

So I took my creaky BB to the LBS and they've looked at the BB itself, pedals, seatpost...all the usual stuff

They were getting another bike in with the same crankset as mine so they swapped them over and, hey presto, the creak went. Ergo, it is something to do with the crankset. Now they are suggesting that (a) It isn't likely to be fixable and (b) It is probably a precursor to a total failure ie a crank breaking off....some intial failure of the bond and/or a fatigue crack that isn't visible

Any thoughts? I can get a new crankset fitted of course but am reluctant to do so if not really necessary.

I would put the crank you think is creaking on another bike and see if it creaks .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cranks often creak where the steel shaft is pressed into the aluminium spider. RaceFace cranks did that quite frequently.
It wont fail as it isn't a crack, just a loose spline fitting.

That sounds encouraging thanks...the LBS guy was suggesting I could be out of the saddle, climbing, and suffer a catastrophic failure

Sadly I only own one bike so I can't swap it onto another to see if the creak goes with it. But they fitted a different crankset to my bike and the creak disappeared

Maybe I just have to get used to the creak

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well I led the Manchester to Llandudno ride and my bike didn't catastrophically fail so that's good.

What was interesting was that I was out in wet weather for the first hour or so and the creaking completely disappeared. During the afternoon the weather dried up and next day the creaking had returned. Make of that what you will. Maybe the water is acting as some sort of a lubricant to the loose spline fitting?

Top Bottom