Yet Another Hernia Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
t's about 3 grand isn't it? I wish I shelled out at the time and got it over and done with. I've certainly spent money less wisely.[/QUOTE]

I think the charge now is about £895.

Just look through threads for some information as I have just been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and seen your comment.
I think at the price you paid I would have been prepared for the BHC to sort the problem but they have just quoted me £5000 to £6500 to repair mine.
Definitely need now to have a big Lottery win before I can afford to get it done.

Padraig

Is what you have a hiatus hernia? I was diagnosed with one of those by a consultant in Rodney Street in Liverpool in about 1980. He didn't advise any operation or treatment. I've been living with it all these years, and the only consequence of it is that sometimes you get ferocious heartburn if you do any stooping shortly after a meal. A colleague once told me that his father had one, and was told not to have an operation, as the success rate was not good. As for the other type of hernia (inguinal, I think it is), I had one a couple of years ago and it was so painful that I decided to get it sorted out. Local private clinic, everything spot on, and didn't need to stay overnight. I'm no medical expert, and don't take my word for it, but I believe that a hiatus hernia is something you can live with. It's just a weakness in the boundary between the stomach and the oesophagus, which allows acid reflux. Diet is the best way to control it.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My late mother in law had a hiatus hernia and quite frankly her health was better before the op. Sure it had its inconvenient moments before the operation, she was in her 60s when she had it done and she had other health problems which didn't help her recovery, but there were ongoing problems which she was eventualy told she would have to live with.

donneh

Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

it disappears when i lie down and pops up after a while when i stand up. Not alot of discomfort, just a mild burning sensation once in a while. I would say its small-medium right now

I plan to see the doctor and get a surgery in 2 months time.

1) is it safe to do purely machine exercises in the mean time? ie.. seated chest press, seated dips, seated rows, seated machine preacher curls?

2) whats the proper breathing method to NOT increase intra abdominal pressure? I know the Valsalva Maneuver is a no-go obviously, but what about stomach vacuums WHILE still breathing normally through the nose and lungs

Does blowing out your stomach while holding your breath increase intra abdomical pressure? Or does sucking in your abdomen increase the pressure??

3) Now in 2015, is the laprosopic TEP mesh method gold standard for least recurrence, chronic pain and post op complications? Still so much differing opinions and literature out there! sigh

TIA for any advice, and i hope everyone on this thread have made full recoveries from this unfortunate injury...

Top Bottom