Yet Another Incident Rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Yesterday evening I was travelling round a roundabout at Kearsley near Bolton. There are two lanes on the roundabout, and I was to the right of centre in the inside lane - the correct road position to be seen clearly. I have bright coloured clothes and two bright lights on the front, one flashing and one steady.

A car was approaching the roundabout ahead, we made eye contact; he had clearly seen me, and I have priority, being already on the roundabout. As I went past his entrance, he just kept coming, then slammed on his brakes about 2 feet from my rear wheel. He then accelerated hard and and swerved round me, sounding his horn all the while.

This type of deliberately aggressive, bullying behaviour is not that rare among motorists in Greater Manchester. What can be done about that?

(Unfortunately, no camera footage as I forgot to charge it at work.)

Nothing can be done as long as there is effectively no enforcement of road laws in this country.
We need someone watching the roads, pulling people over and verbally kicking the crap out of them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just take some satisfaction from the fact that the driver is a jerk with a tiny pr*ck and no balls and if they were out of their car they would be as timid as a fieldmouse if you said boo to them. Forget about it and carry on with your life because they are not worthy of your time to get worked up about it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Any cameras other than yours that might have recorded the incident? I don't use a camera - but was fortunate enough to have one pointing in my direction when my incident occurred this morning.

And if there were what would you expect to do about it? I am not saying it is right but I expect the police will not be at all interested as no one was injured.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I still live in that idealistic world where people give a sh1t about one another I'm afraid. To me it's quite sad that I seem to be in the minority!!

Like I said, it's not right but the reality is that the police just don't have the resources to follow up such an incident. At the end of the day, to them it is an instance of a driver beeping at another road user with no other consequences. They cannot justify an officers time to track down any possible footage (that may or may not exist) so the officer can 'have a word' with the culprit.

As has already been said, the roads are effectively unpoliced. This would be ok if people had the decency and common sense to police their own actions but as we know an awful lot cannot show such restraint so we have got the mess that currently exists.

Like I said, it's not right but the reality is that the police just don't have the resources to follow up such an incident. At the end of the day, to them it is an instance of a driver beeping at another road user with no other consequences. They cannot justify an officers time to track down any possible footage (that may or may not exist) so the officer can 'have a word' with the culprit.

As has already been said, the roads are effectively unpoliced. This would be ok if people had the decency and common sense to police their own actions but as we know an awful lot cannot show such restraint so we have got the mess that currently exists.
I find it quite sad that I have to agree with what you say entirely! Btw: just to clarify - I wasn't having a pop at you!!

potsy

Rambler
I didn't think you were. I know we're all mates here :cheers:(and anyone I find irritating goes on my ignore list!)
You won't see this then :tongue:

Have to agree with the posts above I'm afraid, one arse in a car is not worth letting it spoil your day, just forget it now and move on :thumbsup:

pshore

If I ever watch a fly on the wall cop show, they are always saying how the minor vehicle offences lead them to the bigger criminals. Surely the same is true for aggressive and abusive drivers.

Last time the Police got the ANPR camera out in my area for one day. They found and arrested two wanted crims.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
This is true. Even when I was shot by someone with an air gun last year whilst cycling home, they took it seriously but there was very little they could actually do.

Top Bottom